Iresa Limited - New Energy Company?

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The Times reported on 14 Apri that cut-price energy supplier Iresa has stopped taking new customers
    I hope the Club is not still promoting it.

You are correct that Iresa has currently closed it's doors to new customers
    http://www.iresa.co.uk/not-taking-new-orders/

I'm not sure about the truth you suggest as to the reasons as to why - do you have any evidence from Ofgem to support the allegations you make ? :huh:

This is not the first time this small supplier has closed it's doors temporarily to new customers, nor is it the only small company that has taken such action in the past.

As I understand it, the small supplier has taken the stance due to overwealming demand for their very price competitive tariffs.

You also ask about the CEC. I'm not really sure what you mean :huh:
    When I check the CEC, I can confirm Iresa do not currently show in the list of poossible suppliers for me since they are not acceptiung new customers at this time. Are they appearing on your account??? :huh:

Anyway, well done on getting in whilst the doors were open. :money:
    Sorry to all those who missed out! All I can suggest is keep checking the comparison sites, as they will re-appear once they decide to open their doors again.
    (no guarantees when they do start accepting new customers as to what tariff they will then be offering, or how competitive it will be)
  • Fitzmichael
    Fitzmichael Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    "do you have any evidence from Ofgem?"
    I assume that The Times will have evidence for my quote. Re CEC, I wrote 'I hope', so I'm glad Iresa isn't there, and hope the MSE email will make some reference to it.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2017 at 12:59PM
    "do you have any evidence from Ofgem?"
    I assume that The Times will have evidence for my quote. Re CEC, I wrote 'I hope', so I'm glad Iresa isn't there, and hope the MSE email will make some reference to it.

Don't assume. Save it for the judge.;)
    Iirc, the article appeared after someone posted similar on MSE :cool:
    It's well known the hacks often turn to internet sites such as this if they are short of news stories.

There's an existing thread from months ago when this story broke in the press here
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5633851

Don't understand what you mean by the CEC making reference to something they are not listing. The supplier is not offering anything, so why whould they appear on a comparison site and why would MSE make reference to the fact they are not there???? :huh:

There are lots of companies that are not listed ... all because they are not offering gas or electricity to new customers.

Good luck!
  • nick_pike
    nick_pike Posts: 51 Forumite
    My experience with Iresa is that if you just sit back and relax, they get it all correct eventually. My bills are correct as I check against my own spread sheet. A lot of 'problems' here are probably as I experienced that things seemed to happen slowly. All is well here and I'm getting some of the cheapest energy in the UK. They probably closed to new customers because they are a small company. I'm glad they exist as it stops me getting ripped-off by the likes of my last outfit that were increasing my costs by 42% and 48%. If you don't like the sound of them, just sign up with someone else and stop moaning about them. Just use someone else if you don't like the sound of them. They are doing a great job for me.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    wouldnt that be great if you could actually leave - been 2 months now and I cannot leave them despite my account being in credit
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • beastman
    beastman Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wouldnt that be great if you could actually leave - been 2 months now and I cannot leave them despite my account being in credit

What's the story?
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    beastman wrote: »
    What's the story?

I'll start!

Once upon a time...

:D
  • GinCo
    GinCo Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My experience has been like nick pike's - I switched an electricity-only supply to Iresa in March (when I faced a price rise of almost 50% on my Robin Hood Energy tariff, and no cheaper alternative from them).

Having used a small-scale supplier before, I wasn't expecting an all-singing and dancing website for online account-management or to have rapid access to customer-service. I think that should be regarded as part of the deal; you forgo having a call-centre waiting for your queries etc, and need to be patient with the automated system.

Iresa is unusual in direct-debiting in advance, then deducting its charge for usage (like a phone company), but that's another aspect of the deal. And it happened as advertised in their T&Cs - a DD payment ahead of the switch, then DD on the first banking day when the monthly due-date comes round, then a meter-reading request by email, then an online bill 2-3 weeks later, then repeat. And between bills you have an online 'transaction' log that lags by a few days at most.

They have been reliable and accurate in pricing, and in calculating the interest on my credit balance (I've done the sums to check).

I'd suggest that it's going to be best as a choice for people with a simple situation like mine, who can sign up with a reasonably-accurate predicted consumption, provide their readings as requested and take a relaxed 'hands off' approach (rather than might need/want to arrange to adjust their DD during the year).

For what it's worth, obtaining my credit balance from my previous supplier took more than two months, which is probably the least satisfactory part of the switching-away process for everyone. By contrast, I found that nPower were on the case PDQ when I switched owing them money, and had cancelled my DD to avoid them helping themselves to it - I strongly suspect that that wouldn't have been the case if they'd owed me!

In short, I wasn't put off by the negative feedback Iresa has attracted since day one and am glad of it. Obviously, everyone has to choose the factors that are most important for their needs for themselves - including being risk-adverse or not regarding a deal that looks 'too good to be true' to some. I'm happy to recommend them, with the provisos I've given.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,848 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If you are electric only and it all goes to plan and you don't need to contact them then all is good. This is exactly the same as Extra Energy were and this thread is starting to get the same flow of postings. When it does not go right then there is nothing you can do to get it put right. If you are a gas customer then you are being overcharged and it seems there is nothing they can do to correct it. My electric only account is still not set up correctly from 30th January. They take the DD without fail and credit interest but I still cannot submit readings, I do that by e-mail but they are not applied to my account and I have not been billed. They are blaming my previous supplier for not having my meter details set up correctly but as I am a serial switcher I find that hard to believe.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Try leaving. I thought that after countless e-mails and a threat of legal action to recover my credit that I could, at last, put the Iresa experience behind me. Two and half months on, having previously received Final Bills, I get two e-mails from Iresa this morning to say that my monthly bills are ready.

The 'Your Accounts' page shows a gas debit of £27.84 and electricity shows a credit balance of £28.08. Having taken over 45 minutes to download both bills, The Electricity Monthly Bill shows a credit balance of £0.24 and the Gas Monthly Bill shows a balance of £0.

God knows what accounting standards they are using: clearly, they have bought in a package from Planet Confusion. I look forward to receiving my refund of £0.24.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure