PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Leasehold / shared ownership / conversion question

Can someone please give me some general advice:

I am a shared ownership property owner. I own 50% at the moment.

I want to convert my garage.

I asked the HA (who owns other 50%) for permission and they basically said no because ....

The Lease says 3 ( 5 ) not to make any alterations or additions to the exterior of the promises or any alterations or additions to the interior of the premises nor to erect any new buildings thereon nor in anyway interfere with the outside of the premises.

So, if I was to purchase (staircase) the other 50% of my shared ownership property (and thus be the 100% owner and no more shared ownership), would I then be able to do the garage conversion?

Or is this lease they refer to about the property being leasehold, and even as a 100% owner, I would still not be able to do the conversion unless we then went and purchased the freehold?

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgable and I just want to convert my garage.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Whether shared ownership or not, you will need the freeholder's permission.

Or you could try buying the freehold?
  • izoomzoom
    izoomzoom Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Okay, who or what is the freeholder?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you live in a flat or house?

The freeholder is the person or company who owns the land on which your property is built, and who granted the lease which you bought half of.

You can buy the Freehold Title document from the Land Registry here for £3. This will show who currently owns it.

Though normally you'd have to pay an annual 'ground rent' and maybe a 'service charge' to either this freeholder, or a management company he employs to look after things for him.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If your property is shared ownership, I'm guessing the other 50% of the property is owned by a Housing Association. And that Housing Association is probably your freeholder.

The answers to your questions about alterations will be in your lease.

The clause you quote essentially says "no alterations under any circumstances" - so that's your answer.

Unless... there's another clause in your lease that says "alterations are allowed if you own 100%".

You can ask the Housing Association if you want, but if what they say contradicts the lease, you have to stick with what the lease says.
  • izoomzoom
    I've read the Lease more fully now.

3(5) states "Not to make any alterations or additions to the exterior of the the Premises or any alterations or additions to the interior of the Premises nor to erect any new buildings thereon nor in any way interfere with the outside of the Premises nor to remove any of the Landlord's fixtures from the Premises without the previous written consent of the Landlord such consent not to be unreasonably withheld"

Funny how they failed to tell me about the latter part of the 3(5) clause.

I've written back, asking again if consent is being withheld.

If they refuse, any suggestions on what I should then do, as I do not think our request is unreasonable. We are model tenants and next door house has the exact same conversion.
  • eddddy
    It doesn't sound like they've withheld consent, because it doesn't sound like you've applied for consent yet.

As a starting point, ask them what information they need in an application for consent.

Eventually, they may need detailed plans, confirmation of planning consent, confirmation of building regs compliance etc. There may also be legal issues that need resolving with the lease.

Your freeholder may guide you through the process, or they might just tell you to get your application in to their legal department, and wait for their written comments.
  • eddddy
    izoomzoom wrote: »
    ...as I do not think our request is unreasonable.

... TBH, the 'reasonableness' will be judged on legal and technical matters, rather than personal opinions.

It will be the opinion of professional lawyers (who review the lease), surveyors, architects etc, that carry most weight.

So, for example, if the freeholder's lawyer or surveyor gives reasons why the conversion is not reasonable, you or your lawyer or surveyor would have to counter those arguments.

If both sides can't agree, you could take those legal and technical arguments to a Tribunal (like a court) and let them decide.
  • izoomzoom
    eddddy wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like they've withheld consent, because it doesn't sound like you've applied for consent yet.

As a starting point, ask them what information they need in an application for consent.

Eventually, they may need detailed plans, confirmation of planning consent, confirmation of building regs compliance etc. There may also be legal issues that need resolving with the lease.

Your freeholder may guide you through the process, or they might just tell you to get your application in to their legal department, and wait for their written comments.

I've already given them plans and all the other bits they requested, when I made my initial enquiries. I requested, in writing, formal permission to do a conversion 6 weeks ago.
  • eddddy
    izoomzoom wrote: »
    I've already given them plans and all the other bits they requested, when I made my initial enquiries. I requested, in writing, formal permission to do a conversion 6 weeks ago.

OK. So you have formally requested consent for alterations, and they have formally refused consent.

So you need to look at the reasons for the refusal, and challenge them if you think the reasons are unreasonable.

What reasons have they given?

For example, is it because of breaching covenants in the lease, breaching building regs, breaching planning conditions?
  • izoomzoom
    Just an update, HA are now asking for plans, description of work etc (which was supplied to them on 30 May, so 6 weeks ago).

They've also said they are not refusing permission just asking for stuff they've already received :mad::mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure