New member – Debts / Anxiety / Depression – Advise Needed

Options
Dear Friend

Thanks you for visiting my post, any help/advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please go easy, I am a newbie to this. I have read lots of posts for the past few days on MSE but haven’t found a clear answer as yet therefore my apologies if I am asking any repeated questions. This is to make sure I make right decision and take the right actions. Also apologies for the long post, I wanted to give you all the info upfront to save time.

Brief history:

A close family member passed away which led me into years of depression. Built up credit card debts as per below with ex-wife. Went through a divorce and was left with all debts as it was on my credit cards. Recession of 2008 and especially anxiety of my debts and constant hounding from debt agencies affected my health and led to closure of my business. I continued paying my debts with my savings until I had nothing left. In 2010/11 I defaulted on all credit cards. Over this period and thereafter, depression and especially anxiety took over my life and I had nothing left in me to fight these issues. Fast forward to present day and I have fought very hard and I am much fitter mentally (still with some anxiety and depression) and physically to deal with my debt issues and am ready to take on these companies!

Current Debt Situation:

(1) Robinson Way (Egg), opened Jun-04, balance £11,290, paying £5.00/mth, defaulted Dec-10, f/f offer received £3,390

(2) Capital One, opened Jan-01, balance £2,640, paying nothing, defaulted Apr-11, last payment made April 2016

(3) Cabot (HSBC) opened Apr-06, balance £2,925, paying £5.00/mth, defaulted Jul-11, f/f offer received £875

(4) Cabot, (Lloyds), opened Sep-04, balance £15,800, paying £5.00/mth, defaulted Jul-11, f/f offer received £7,955

(5) Moorcroft (Amex), opened Mar-06, balance £4,900, paying nothing, defaulted Jul-11, last payment made Dec 2012

(6) Link Financial (Barclaycard)opened Oct-03, balance fully settled, defaulted Aug-12, possibly incorrect default date needs removing

Notes:

Above stated monthly payments are all managed by myself. 5 out of 6 defaults are about to drop off by end of next month. I am looking to start up another business with help from close family and looking to pay as little as possible to these CC companies. Priority to keep my credit file as clean as possible in future. Possibly looking to apply for business loan after 5 defaults have dropped off.

Questions:

What is my best step forward with each of the above debts?

Would requesting CCA from these companies motivate them to come after me more aggressively and possibly resulting CCJ?

All my debts are pre April 2007 (“prescribed terms”), how would this effect CCA request? Are they less likely to have it?

Once the defaults drop off, can I be defaulted on my credit file again if I don’t pay their demand?

Currently there is no DMP with a company, is this worth setting up after defaults have dropped off with very minimum payment to stop calls and letters and so to help my anxiety?

Link Financial debt has been fully paid off but they put a default on my file….I am not sure if this is correct or not and means I have to wait till Aug 2018 for it to drop off ….how can I deal with this and have it removed?

How is my depression & anxiety viewed by these companies? Are they likely to be more helpful?

Once again many thanks to all advisers/posters on this forum, you do a grand job in helping many people who have suffered for years and your help is appreciated.

Best regards.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Your first step should be CCA requests to all relevant accounts yes, the fact your debts are are all pre-2007 could be of benefit to you, as they must respond with a copy of the terms and conditions (prescribed terms) in force at the time, as well as your copy agreement.

This is your statutory right under the consumer credit act, it can't be taken away or used against you in any way.

Once a debt has dropped off your file, it cannot come back.

Send CCA's first, then you will have a clearer idea of where you stand.

Info and template letter here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • HITS
    HITS Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Hi Sourcrates

Many thanks for your quick response.

How are the pre and post April 07 agreement different and how might they work in my favour? The template letter does not mention anything regarding pre April 07 agreement, does I need to?

I would be very grateful for your feedback on other questions listed.

Also should I be sending CCA to Amex and Capital One whom I have not been paying and is dormant and heard nothing from? I am concerned they may start chasing me again.

Many thanks & much appreciated.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Pre April 2007 agreements MUST be accompanied by the prescribed terms, after that date the law was changed and is no longer a requirement.

It's in your favour as most agreements from that time did not comply with the act.

If the prescribed terms are missing, the debt is unenforceable as the courts have already ruled on this.

Complain about the default if you believe it was unfairly added, debt collectors are obliged to treat you fairly whatever your medical condition, but more so in cases such as yours.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I agree with that as a strategy.

Pre-2007 agreements have the added bonus of potential unenforceability under s127(3), so it strengthens your arguments.

When you say 'f/f offer received', did you make that offer or did they just write to offer it?

The ones from Robinson Way and Cabot(HSBC) seem generous, which may indicate some defect in their paperwork.
  • HITS
    Options
    Hi Sourcrates & Fatbelly

The f/f offer was received from them.

My apologies for more questions, I am just feeling anxious about this and want to make the right decision.

If the agreements are supplied for those accounts, what should be my next strategy?

Do I need to mention anything regarding prescribed terms in the CCA letter?

Also should I be sending CCA to Amex and Capital One whom I have not been paying and is dormant and heard nothing from? I am concerned they may start chasing me again.

Many thanks.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    HITS wrote: »
    Hi Sourcrates & Fatbelly

The f/f offer was received from them.

My apologies for more questions, I am just feeling anxious about this and want to make the right decision.

If the agreements are supplied for those accounts, what should be my next strategy?

Do I need to mention anything regarding prescribed terms in the CCA letter?

Many thanks.

(1) then the debt is enforceable, up to you how you proceed.

(2) no.

(3) entirely your choice, keep as ammunition for the future should they wake up again.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Lots of good debt info here, compiled by a CAB advisor :

https://debtcamel.co.uk
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    On (3) I think I'd leave Amex alone as it's been 4.5 years since you heard anything. That one might be written off.

If you've not heard anything from Capital One for a year it's a toss-up whether to leave it or not. Maybe leave it till last and try too sort out the others first.
  • HITS
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    (1) then the debt is enforceable, up to you how you proceed.

If they have the right agreements and it's enforceable, I am concerened that they would come after me and go for CCJ on my file and put me back another 6 yrs. I don't have the funds to pay that off. Would DMP be advisable to stop calls, letters and CCJ anything else you can suggest?

Thanks
  • HITS
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Lots of good debt info here, compiled by a CAB advisor :

Great informative website.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories