Do I have to go to the job centre to continue getting HB?

Comments

• dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Can you not increase your income enough to pay your own rent as well as live? Then they won't require anything of you.
  • Topcat1982
    Topcat1982 Posts: 391 Forumite
    Topcat,

I did. Their letter is in response.

What other proof do they require then? Perhaps you could phone up and ask them before you go in.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The council, and thus the council tax payers are subsidising your lifestyle. If you are only 'working' a few hours a week you need to sign on and look for work on the other days and support yourself.

My own council (South Glos) has a catch all rule about intentionally depriving yourself of income. If I resigned my job and tried to live off my pension and claim a council tax reduction I would be refused as I had deprived myself of the income from my job. If I get sacked I can claim for the first year but in the second year I would be asked to attend the Jobcentre to claim any applicable benefits. Although my pension income would stop any benefits being paid (by the jobcentre) I then have to look for work to remain signed onto JSA and get the CTR. The council have no problem with me working for a low income or with me being unemployed. They have a problem with subsidising my choosing not to work.
    Now if you are working 30+ hours a week and pay national insurance and can prove it then you are a low paid worker and the council can't force you to sign on. In any other circumstance you won't be getting housing benefit for much longer.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Harry_Benny
    Harry_Benny Posts: 10 Forumite
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    Can you not increase your income enough to pay your own rent as well as live? Then they won't require anything of you.

One could ask the same of anyone with a part time job. Why do they care so much that my income doesn't come from a job? Working for an employer isn't the only way to make money.

I have shown them where my income comes from and they are not disputing it.

I'm trying to understand precisely what their issue is. I have an income, and it's just a bit lower than the applicable amount.

I suspect that they are uncomfortable because I don't fit into their preconceived ideas of what is legit and what is not. Lots of people are self employed, I happen to be one of them.

I'm sure they'd have no problems if I was making the exact same money from a part time job.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And if you don'y pay any NI, what are you going to do about a pension.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • dippy3103
    Forumite
    One could ask the same of anyone with a part time job. Why do they care so much that my income doesn't come from a job? Working for an employer isn't the only way to make money.

I have shown them where my income comes from and they are not disputing it.

I'm trying to understand precisely what their issue is. I have an income, and it's just a bit lower than the applicable amount.

I suspect that they are uncomfortable because I don't fit into their preconceived ideas of what is legit and what is not. Lots of people are self employed, I happen to be one of them.

I'm sure they'd have no problems if I was making the exact same money from a part time job.
    But they suspect you have more of an income.. why would you not sign on if you didn't?

Why can't you increase your income like you indicated? Become self sufficient. HB comes from the same pot as centrally paid benefits.

Unless of course you are a troll?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    But they suspect you have more of an income.. why would you not sign on if you didn't?

Why can't you increase your income like you indicated? Become self sufficient. HB comes from the same pot as centrally paid benefits.

Unless of course you are a troll?

His style of writing seems very familiar. ;)
  • Harry_Benny
    Harry_Benny Posts: 10 Forumite

I can probably increase my income slightly, but increasing it to the level where I can pay the rent, no. Just like someone with an employer can't just decide one day to increase their income to whatever they want it to be.

If I was making the exact same amount from a job, they would have no issue, and I know from experience.
  • dippy3103
    Forumite
    IAmWales wrote: »
    His style of writing seems very familiar. ;)

Not just me then... ?
  • dippy3103
    Forumite
    I can probably increase my income slightly, but increasing it to the level where I can pay the rent, no. Just like someone with an employer can't just decide one day to increase their income to whatever they want it to be.

If I was making the exact same amount from a job, they would have no issue, and I know from experience.

Why can you not get a job which pays enough to pay your rent?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure