PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Comments

• kalojac
    kalojac Posts: 423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PThome wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just to vent out! I am in shock and depressed... Just received an e-mail from my solicitor informing that our buyer decided not to proceed :( No explanation, no reason, nothing...
    I don't even know what to do now as I was not prepared for this... He was the one that wanted a fast buy, our solicitor was great, did all paperwork very fast, sent the contract out last week and we didn't get any news from them. Until today that my solicitor contacted buyers solicitor to update on progress and he informed that the buyer is not going to proceed :( very upsetting :(:(:(:(

I am at the moment at home with a gas engineer replacing my boiler, as it was very old and was a requirement from the buyer and now I am spending all this money unnecessarily :(

I feel like I need to scream!!!

Hope your process goes better than mine..

Good luck!

So sorry to hear that. Did you have other interested parties tbat your estate agent can go back to? Now that xmas is out of the way theres seems to be more people looking for houses fingers crossed for you getting another buyer real soon.
  • PThome
    PThome Posts: 46 Forumite
    kalojac wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that. Did you have other interested parties tbat your estate agent can go back to? Now that xmas is out of the way theres seems to be more people looking for houses fingers crossed for you getting another buyer real soon.

Thank you Kalojac,

Yes, we did have other parties interested (it went through a biding war, apparently we choose the wrong one :(). The estate agent also said that after we accept the offer there were more people asking about the flat, so he is now contacting them all to see if they are still interested and lets see how it goes. In the mean time we have already a view booked for tomorrow afternoon from a brand new prospective buyer, so keeping my fingers crossed! :eek:

Very grateful to this group that understand what we are going throw and helps us overcome these situations...
  • RXT156 wrote: »
    Mutely I am talking about an electric condition report. I am fully aware of the cost. The electrical information is the only part missing from the property information documents and the only piece of the puzzle left before signing of contracts and exchanging.

They aren't essential, and I have always exchanged without one. No big surprises yet. The only one I insist on is a recent boiler cert (well, within the past 12 months).

Don't expect your seller to pay, I imagine if you want one they will expect you to fund it.
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    PThome wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just to vent out! I am in shock and depressed... Just received an e-mail from my solicitor informing that our buyer decided not to proceed :( No explanation, no reason, nothing...
    I don't even know what to do now as I was not prepared for this... He was the one that wanted a fast buy, our solicitor was great, did all paperwork very fast, sent the contract out last week and we didn't get any news from them. Until today that my solicitor contacted buyers solicitor to update on progress and he informed that the buyer is not going to proceed :( very upsetting :(:(:(:(

I am at the moment at home with a gas engineer replacing my boiler, as it was very old and was a requirement from the buyer and now I am spending all this money unnecessarily :(

I feel like I need to scream!!!

Hope your process goes better than mine..

Good luck!

Sympathies - our first buyer left the country without telling anyone, and his solicitor knowing nothing about it. Took a couple of weeks for him to finally get back in touch and say he wasn't going ahead with the purchase. Hope you get another buyer really quickly.
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • We seem to be making progress daily at the moment - our buyer got their title report and contract to sign today, as did we, and as far as I know the other two people in the chain have signed or will do this week. I think that makes us good to go for exchange! We are currently talking about exchange next week and completion on Feb 1st.

Sorry to those who have had delays and disappointments - we had a buyer pull out at the beginning of the process and it took 5 loooong weeks and a price reduction to find another, but we are nearly there! Once we have the keys and about 7 gins in our hands it’ll all be a distant memory!! Xx
  • Our solicitors have been excellent throughout, although tbh they haven't really had a great deal to do. It's a very short chain - there only being us and our buyers till we had an offer accepted two weeks ago.....and our vendor is going into rented.

It was our actual solicitor's first day back after paternity leave today - in his absence a colleague and both their secretaries have been in contact when necessary and all have been quick to respond to our calls/emails.

Anyway, this afternoon he called to touch base regarding our purchase and to talk through some queries from our buyers' solicitor. Both he and ourselves were a bit bemused at the latter, as we've already exchanged on our sale and complete on 26th :rotfl: He suggested he tell their solicitor to take a hike as they can't pull out now without repercussions.......

To be fair to our buyers, we know the queries didn't originate with them as these are points we've already talked through in person and know they are happy.

As for our EA, he too has been great and thoroughly earned his fee - keeping on top of things and chasing like a man possessed when the need arose :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Ugh!! Just heard that the top of our chain, who we all thought was going into rented, has decided she actually wants to buy, has had an offer accepted, but no solicitor instructed yet.
    She's going to have to break the chain and go into rented as she said she would, isn't she? Anything else would be madness for all of us at this stage given we thought we might be ready to go next week!!
    After this I'm never moving again!
  • Reading through this thread has been really helpful hearing about everyone's experiences!
    We are first time buyers and have had an offer accepted on a property. Our survey has come back but we are unsure what to make of it and whether or not it would be reasonable to expect the seller to action certain defects or to reduce the price:
    - Faacias and soffits requiring urgent replacement
    - No damp proof course- damp in lower ground floor and roof space.
    - No building regs for extension (indemnity policy)
    - Cracking of external render
    - Cracking and distortion to opening over extension
    - Possible asbestos in artex ceilings
    - No safety certificates for gas or electrics
    Our issue is these are jobs that are potentially very costly, but the surveyor has stated in the report she sees no reason we shouldn't purchase the property and that the house is valued appropriately...so would the seller therefore be unwilling to redice the cost? What a minefield!!

Grateful for any similar experiences :)
  • Reading through this thread has been really helpful hearing about everyone's experiences!
    We are first time buyers and have had an offer accepted on a property. Our survey has come back but we are unsure what to make of it and whether or not it would be reasonable to expect the seller to action certain defects or to reduce the price:
    - Faacias and soffits requiring urgent replacement depends how visible they are from when you viewed and made the offer. Surveyors can say urgent when they really mean, 5 years time. I wouldn't reduce as a seller on this one.
    - No damp proof course- damp in lower ground floor and roof space. Could you see damp when you viewed?
    - No building regs for extension (indemnity policy)
    - Cracking of external render Visible on viewing.
    - Cracking and distortion to opening over extension Visible on viewing.
    - Possible asbestos in artex ceilings Surveyor is backside covering. Plaster over it. Get asbestos survey if really worried. Artex is common.
    - No safety certificates for gas or electrics Standard. Just means surveyor hasn't seen them, not that they don't exist. Ask for recent boiler test cert and if bothered about electrics, get your own (at your own cost - not vendors) check done. I just look at fuse box and plugs. Never bothered with report.
    Our issue is these are jobs that are potentially very costly, but the surveyor has stated in the report she sees no reason we shouldn't purchase the property and that the house is valued appropriately...so would the seller therefore be unwilling to redice the cost? You've just said it was valued accordingly. No.
    What a minefield!!
    Not really. FTBs are just becoming increasingly bizarre in expectations which isn't helped by so much backside covering from solicitors and surveyors alike. You don't need to have bought a house before to know what cracks in render or walls look like, or judge whether windows etc. are old to base an offer accordingly.

You can always ask, but I wouldn't risk rocking the boat if it's a property which had interest. Sometimes, for the sake of a few grand it's easier to just get the house and deal with it all afterwards. I wouldn't discount on any of the above, but then I'm not your seller.

Good luck.
  • Good morning everyone

Well while I won't be exchanging today I know a few people were hoping to, so I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys :) Looking forward to some happy news from others to make me smile.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback