very old debt

Comments

• anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just an update and maybe some advice. I've received a letter from Lloyds confirming that the hold no record of the loan being in my name.
    I am going to pursue reclaiming what I have paid - I have nothing to lose by doing this and potentially thousands to gain.
    Does anyone have experience of doing this, should I write to Lloyds Complaints department or the FCO?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    anna_m wrote: »
    Just an update and maybe some advice. I've received a letter from Lloyds confirming that the hold no record of the loan being in my name.
    I am going to pursue reclaiming what I have paid - I have nothing to lose by doing this and potentially thousands to gain.
    Does anyone have experience of doing this, should I write to Lloyds Complaints department or the FCO?

Written complaint to lloyds, they then have 8 weeks to give you a final responce.
    If your not happy, take it to the FOS (financial ombudsman service).
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • HI,
    Well after months of nothing I have received a letter from Link Financial today

"We wish to apologise for our delay in supplying the requested documents in regards to your previous Secion 77/78 request.

We write further to your request for account documentation. Unfortunately the original creditor Lloyds Banking Group has confirmed that they are unable to comply with your request.

Although the account is currently unenforceable the outstanding balance remains collectable and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

Can someone please advise ?

Many thanks
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

on WHOs credit file , its not on your so why worry
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • anna_1977
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

on WHOs credit file , its not on your so why worry

It's not on my file due to age but i honestly can't remember if it did default, I'm sure lloyds would have defaulted it years ago though!
  • anna_1977 wrote: »
    HI,
    Well after months of nothing I have received a letter from Link Financial today

"We wish to apologise for our delay in supplying the requested documents in regards to your previous Secion 77/78 request.

We write further to your request for account documentation. Unfortunately the original creditor Lloyds Banking Group has confirmed that they are unable to comply with your request.

Although the account is currently unenforceable the outstanding balance remains collectable and it is acceptable for creditors to register and continue the reporting of a default '

Many thanks

They have basically admitted they are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. They have a told you the debt is unenforceable but in legality it is still due, which it is.

So you can confidently ignore it from now on.

They cannot put another default on your credit file if it has previously been defaulted.

So rest easy. You have won. Congratulations.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    anna_1977 wrote: »

Translation - "We are completely stuffed, but please pay us anyway!"
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • anna_1977
    Sorry to reopen the thread but Link are writing to me again.

Is there anyway I can stop these letters?
  • anna_1977 wrote: »
    Sorry to reopen the thread but Link are writing to me again.

Is there anyway I can stop these letters?

As has been said previously, although you don't have to pay this debt, it is still outstanding, and the debt company is within its rights to contact you.

However, if you consider the letters are becoming a harassment, then you could write and inform them that you consider them so and if they persist, you will make a complaint to the appropriate authority.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If Lloyds wrote to you confirming that they have no record of the loan being in your name - you kept that letter, yes? - then I would have sent a copy of that letter to Link along with a demand for the refund of any and all monies paid to them in respect of the account.

Also, did you do as Sourcrates suggested and send written complaint to Link and escalate to FOS after 8 weeks of no satisfactory response?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure