Experian Letter Scam? Feeling Worried

Hi, I received a letter purporting to be from Experian. It has an experian logo but no address at top and is addressed to my current address in my maiden name, not used by me for over 40 years.

It states that they recently received an application request for a Statutory Credit Report but due to a technical error they were unable to proceed with the application meaning that authentication documents are required to process my application. It goes on to say under Article 12(6) GDPR they are entitled to request additional proof of an individuals identity and residency prior to releasing the information they hold about the person.

It goes on to say if I have already seen a copy of my Experian report then I can ignore this letter but if I still want a report I need to send the following documents to

Experian, PO BOX 9639, Nottingham, NG80 1AE. This is a different address to the return address on the envelope which also has an official style stamp on it (not a post office stamp). That address is PO BOX 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF

The documents required are as follows.
Two original documents dated within the last three months from current address such as Bank Statement, Utility Bills, Mortgage Statements, Council Tax, Credit Card, Mobile Phone etc. Photocopies and faxes cannot be accepted.
AND
Photocopy of Passport, birth certificate or full driving licence.

The letter suggests I make a number of the reference number at top of the letter to be quoted in any further correspondence and it's finished with Yours sincerely, Customer Service although no signature or any other information etc.

My first reaction to this is that it is a scam. I did apply for a Credit report last year as I was going through a DRO and I got everything I needed at that time and have no need or indeed have not applied for anything since early last year. I'm also alarmed due to the fact it used my maiden name which I have not used for over 40 years and I have never had any kind of credit using that name, not even a bank account.

I noticed another thread, now closed asking a similar question to mine regarding possible scam letter to said company although the address was 'Customer Support Centre, Experian Limited, PO BOX 9000, Nottingham NG80 7WP', a little different to the one I have received.

Is it possible this is a scam letter? Has anyone else had or know of something like this and if so what have you done about it?

Having gone through the trauma of a DRO last year and trying to get myself back on track this has scared me somewhat. I would really appreciate some advice.

Many thanks

Boo Silva

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2020 at 9:16AM
    Have you by any chance checked the experian website ?

Does either address match the 1 on the website ?

Give them a call about it.

If you do send anything maybe use the address on the website.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's not a scam, but it means someone has tried to access your files, either deliberately or by accident.

Start by checking your files to ensure everything is ok.
  • It's not a scam, but it means someone has tried to access your files, either deliberately or by accident.

Start by checking your files to ensure everything is ok.

maiden name , not used for 40 yrs ?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't comment on the scam question but Experian have lots of offices all over Nottingham so I wouldn't be so concerned about the slight variation in address.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • b6204
    b6204 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all. I've managed to contact them and it seems it was a letter sent out in error on their part. They were unable to explain why it would come through with my maiden name, a name I have not used in over 40 years and never used to gain anything financial or other but it does appear it came via Experian. Thanks again for your help. I feel more relieved now and appreciate your time.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No idea why the letter was generated but their internal systems will have record of your maiden name and its change to married name from one of their many sources which are not all going to be financial.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    No idea why the letter was generated but their internal systems will have record of your maiden name and its change to married name from one of their many sources which are not all going to be financial.
    OP states maiden name has not been used in over 40 years. This means that the change to married name occurred sometime in the 1970's (or earlier).. I really doubt that Experian will have a record of that change.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure