Credit score fraud

Options
I have clearscore and halifax credit checker. All of a sudden my score went right down. I looked and there has been 19 accounts, lots in default and a ccj added. Which is my name, spelt differently but in a different address. I have lived at my address for 17 years and I am on the electoral roll. These accounts spread across from 2014 till now. I have disputed this with all 3 credit agencies. Experian told me to get in touch with one company ie santander. Now I have to go into a branch and take Id. How can this happen? Why do I have to chase it up? And what about all the other accounts and Ccj in this other persons name? This is so stressful and unfair.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stphillips wrote: »
    I have clearscore and halifax credit checker. All of a sudden my score went right down. I looked and there has been 19 accounts, lots in default and a ccj added. Which is my name, spelt differently but in a different address. I have lived at my address for 17 years and I am on the electoral roll. These accounts spread across from 2014 till now. I have disputed this with all 3 credit agencies. Experian told me to get in touch with one company ie santander. Now I have to go into a branch and take Id. How can this happen? Why do I have to chase it up? And what about all the other accounts and Ccj in this other persons name? This is so stressful and unfair.

Its not credit score fraud.

Your score is only seen by you and only you, lenders see your history.

Re the CCJ I would expect the ref agency it appears with would remove it.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    It is difficult to understand how this could have happened if the name is spelt differently and the address is different. I assume you have no connection of any sort to that address?
    Equally it is odd that your credit score went right down 'all of a sudden'. If these accounts have been improperly maintained since 2014, you would have expected them to have been having a detrimental effect on your credit score for the entire period. Are you saying that these 19 accounts have just suddenly appeared very recently on your credit files and were not there before? Could you perhaps clarify this?
  • Stphillips
    Options
    It is very odd, I can't find any information on why this would happen. I have no connection to the address at all and yes I had a notification off clear score a couple of weeks ago in forming me something had changed so I looked and my score had gone down from 420 to 111 and all this accounts. I looked on Halifax credit checker and the same had happened. Asked experian for my credit report and it does not have the accounts on it but the address as a linked address.
  • Stphillips
    Options
    Your not helpful, being obnoxious about my title, I was stressed and it wanted a title so I just put anything in. Plus if you want to be picky lenders see your credit file and I can see all of this persons(who is not me) credit history.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Stphillips wrote: »
    Your [sic] not helpful

Who are you talking to? There's a quote button which helps make it easier to understand when you're responding to a particular user.
  • Celes
    Celes Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Its not credit score fraud.

Your score is only seen by you and only you, lenders see your history.

Re the CCJ I would expect the ref agency it appears with would remove it.

They are talking about this.

And to be fair, whenever I see all of the advisors on this site scorning people who refer to credit score's it does annoy me. I know the difference and so do lots of people. There is often a level of scorn and ridicule in the tone of people's comments about it that are unhelpful.

Quite often score is short-hand. In practice the debate about the concept of a score it's irrelevant as what matters is that these items are seen connected to your name and address and agencies /companies will weight that data in their own version of a 'score' (in other words, people's reference's are ineffect accurate shorthand).

Whether it's fraud in this case, or just some weird filing issues ... who knows yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure