Grandsons has debt not his

I'm hoping someone can help me, my grandson has severe mental health issues (borderline personality disorder) and struggles to understand much of what is being explained to him and someone has taken advantage of this.

They have got a car on finance in their name but somehow my grandson now has a £24,000 debt on his credit file, first of all the car was not even that amount and the only thing we can think of as to how he has the debt on his file is because this person told him the finance company needed someone with a full driving licence to collect the car as this person only had a provisional and when it was delivered they needed someone with full licence to drive it away.

When the car was delivered my grandson signed something and he thought it was only because he had the full licence, he did not agree to take finance out on anything.

The person did not pay the finance and the car was taken back, how can I help my grandson clear his name and have this debt taken off as not at any time was he made aware he was signing for finance

Regards

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    He needs to establish what he signed and agreed to. Finance, guarantor, or something else.

Then we can advise.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,292
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 6 January 2020 at 1:33PM
    Sorry. I am a bit confused by what you have stated.

Are you saying someone has tricked your grandson into purchasing a car in his name and that your grandson collected the car, as he possesses a full driving license?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does he have an advocate or someone responsible for his affairs ? Has he got any paperwork ? Likely best option is to get an appointment to go with him to citizens advice.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe Action Fraud too.

Where does he know the person from/ How does he know them ?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 7 January 2020 at 3:34AM
    It is very difficult to understand from what you have written quite how this debt has ended up in your grandson's name.
    You say that the other person who bought the car took the finance out in their own name. Have you seen proof of this? Do you know this for a fact or is this just speculation/assumption/what you have bene told by your grandson?
    If this person only had a provisional licence and needed your grandson to drive the car away from the dealership, who was to be the normal day to day driver of the vehicle? In whose name was it insured? After going to all this trouble of using your grandson, why did this individual then stop paying the finance?
    You say that at the dealership your grandson signed something. But what? I assume that he was not given a copy. Have you seen a copy of what he is supposed to have signed? How do you know for a fact that your grandson did not agree to take out the finance himself?
    You say he has this debt on his credit file. Which CRA are we talking about? What is the current status of the debt and what reporting history is shown? This is very important as it may shed some light on what exactly was taken out. Is the other individual shown as a financial associate on your grandsons credit files?
    I find the concept of a guarantor loan for car finance to be somewhat unusual and am sure that much more would have been required of your grandson than simply signing something at the dealership when he went to pick up the car. Are you sure that your grandson is being entirely truthful with you? Is it possible that somehow he allowed himself to be talked into taking out the finance himself by this individual, although having said that from what you have said about your grandson's mental condition I am surprised that he would have had the necessary credit history and income level to have been granted the finance in his name in the first place, or to have been accepted as a guarantor in the first place, assuming that guarantor car finance even exists.

The credit file will show the name of the finance company involved. You will be able to find out a contact address for them through the CRA. You need to contact them immediately and find out exactly what the situation regarding this debt is and obtain a copy of whatever your grandson may have signed. You say your grandson has £24,000 debt on his credit files but the car did not even cost that. How do you know how much the car cost? If the car has been repossessed, then the full amount can hardly still be owing so what is going on?
    I also notice from your other thread that you yourself had a problem involving car finance and a car dealership earlier this year. Your family seems to be rather unlucky in this respect.
  • Jlee40
    Jlee40 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Ok so iv got to the bottom of this, my other grandson took out car finance. He only has a provisional licence and was told by the car finance company if he could find someone with a full licence he could go ahead with the application. He asked his brother to show his licence which he did. My grandson with the mental health issues did not think or know he was signing to be part of the credit agreement, my other grandson claims he didn't know either and says he just thought it was needed to be able to drive the car away when it was delivered to their home address.

The car was £10,000 and was taken back. I am not sure at this time if my grandson has any financial associates on his credit file.

I believe my grandson when he says he did not know at any time and nobody explained to him that he was going to be part of a contract.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure