Do I owe the money back or not?

I have a lifelong chronic illness and have been getting esa for the last three months.

Due to a lot of personal issues at the moment I decided to end my claim, it was on a monday, on the wednesday they paid me.

I called them to tell them I ended my claim and then got paid into my bank account, the lady I spoke to checked and told me she didn't think it was an overpayment and if it was I would owe a very minimul ammount back, the phone ended up being cut off so I called back, went through it all again and was told by someone else that I owed £70 and that I would get a letter informing me how to pay it back.

I have had no letter and the money is still in my bank so I decided to call back to be told I didn't owe anything at all as it was a normal fortnightly payment.

I am a bit confused as I am still none the wiser if I actually owe anything back to them because I have been told three different things, how do I get this sorted out as I don't want to spend money that isn't mine.

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is there an address you can write to and get an answer in writing?

If not put it in a seperate account and forget about it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My son had the same 'problem' - the advisor he spoke to on the phone said that ESA is paid two weeks in arrears and that accounted for the payment which came after he had cancelled the benefit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure