Posting Comments on Articals (not in forum)

Options
Hi all,

I've signed in (hence being able to add this thread).

When in an article on MSE, if I want to leave or reply to a comment it asks me to login using my Facebook login details but I don't want to post a comment through my FB login, I want to use my MSE login.

Am I being silly or is the FB login the only option?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 March 2018 at 4:15PM
    Options
    When you say article, could you link an example?

Do you mean like this one?https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2018/03/left-out-of-pocket-by-the-snow-and-freezing-weather-here-are-your-rights-

I am able to post as long as I am logged in, there is a box saying also post to facebook.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • buy
    buy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sarah1972,

Sorry for the slow reply. I did mean that yes but I too now can post without logging in via FB. Either a glitch on my or the site's part.

I'll let you decide which :laugh:
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many articles on the site have a corresponding discussion thread here on the boards. So a search on the article title could prove fruitful. :)

Also, it would be really great to see an article discussion thread used for its proper purpose - so many get completely mired with utterly non relevant posts.
  • TheZec
    Options
    Totally ridiculous that one cannot comment on a main article unless you are on that scourge of society called 'Facebook'.  I have no desire whatsoever to join them, but am prevented from making a comment.  Why does a site like this purporting to stand up for people become a slave to FB?  Surely it's not beyond MSE's technical capabilities to allow Forum members to comment on the main page using their Forum login and dump the Facebook plugin - especially nowadays after they are openly censoring individuals?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TheZec said:
    Totally ridiculous that one cannot comment on a main article unless you are on that scourge of society called 'Facebook'.
    I agree, and in most cases, if not all, there is no need to be a Facebook subscriber to comment on MSE articles.
    @TheZec, which particular article do you wish to comment on?
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also, I don't understand why the site still allows Facebook for posting comments under articles when Martin threatened Facebook with court over them allowing ads using his name and image to promote investment schemes that he does not advise on or recommend?

MSE Towers: if you do read this, please look into Disqus or Joomla as an alternative option - they are better for websites than Facebook, and you are not supporting a company that a lot of people do not and/or will not use ever. These options are also as easy to implement as the Facebook link.

One of the video creators I follow (Linkara) has used Disqus to enable video comment threads/discussions on his own website ever since he created it. Also, Channel Awesome are a site that used to use Joomla, but they seem to use something else now partnered with Akismet to reduce spam.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE Towers: if you do read this, ..................
    They don't - sorry
    Quite why it's called 'site feedback' nobody knows!  ;)
  • thingamaBob
    thingamaBob Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    J_B said:
    MSE Towers: if you do read this, ..................
    They don't - sorry
    Quite why it's called 'site feedback' nobody knows!  ;)
    See here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6177495/technical-issues-with-the-forum#latest
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback