Cheap Sanitary Products

Comments

• All right ladies, most men with partners know at least some of the problems with sanitary problems and can sympathise but spare a thought for your other half.
    A great deal of men also have problems, especially those with prostate problems, which have had a great deal of publicity of late with the rate of prostate cancer now overtaking the rate of breast cancer.
    Prostate cancer patients have a great problem with urinary retention and need a pad just the same as ladies but if you search for them in all the supermarkets all you find at the end of the big ladies aisle of sanitary products are a box of 10 Tena for men level 2 retailing at £4.00. A rip off at 40 pence each and I have found no alternatives.
    Let's hear it for the men for a change, any solutions out there?
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sraider wrote: »
    Prostate cancer patients have a great problem with urinary retention and need a pad just the same as ladies but if you search for them in all the supermarkets all you find at the end of the big ladies aisle of sanitary products are a box of 10 Tena for men level 2 retailing at £4.00. A rip off at 40 pence each and I have found no alternatives.
    Let's hear it for the men for a change, any solutions out there?

We nursed my mum at home, when she had a terminal brain tumour, the palliative care team and the district nurses were wonder full and provided everything we asked for with one exception. Our trust only provides incontinence pads in the community for patients whose problems are related to urinary tract disease, so as mums continence problems were caused by loss of feeling from pressure in the brain we had to provide them ourselves. Not a problem to us financially, but I can see there would be people in the same situation who would have to make sacrifices to keep a loved one comfortable.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Nice we can talk about this. I remember back in the day. Wasn’t something I could talk about with my mother. Horrible pads appeared mysteriously in my underwear drawer. When I started earning money with my Saturday job I started buying Tampax or Lillets, wasn’t much alternative in those days.

While we are on the subject, what about something that is probably more embarrassing to talk about which often affects older women and younger women after childbirth. 365 days a year. That is stress incontinence. I got this problem with the onset of menopause, very common. I had “the op” but although this helped it didn’t cure it. I’ve spent a lot on pads and have tried every brand and found to a certain extent you get what you pay for. Cheap supermarket brands are mainly worse than useless.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2018 at 11:46AM
    Have to say I have tried every brand from cheap to expensive and I have yet to find ANY sanitary protection that's reliable for me. None of them are long enough or wide enough or sticky enough. (My back no longer bends far enough to make inserting tampons/mooncups possible).
    I've lost count of how many I've lost down my trouser leg, had to detach from my 'lady garden', or rescue as a screwed up ball from god knows where. I wear black trousers all the time and tend not to sit directly on my (unwastable covered) sofa now from too many experiences of leaving stains behind me from 'unexpected incidents'. The worry of embarrassing stains, plus the pain, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, thrush and general feeing of being unwell.. I bl**dy hate periods. Now I'm sneaky and dangerous and buy the pill on t'internet and take it back to back, so I don't get periods. I feel so much healthier. But it's not really a healthy solution and I'd love to find a pad that does what it's supposed to.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    halogen wrote: »
    Have to say I have tried every brand from cheap to expensive and I have yet to find ANY sanitary protection that's reliable for me. None of them are long enough or wide enough or sticky enough. (My back no longer bends far enough to make inserting tampons/mooncups possible).
    I've lost count of how many I've lost down my trouser leg, had to detach from my 'lady garden', or rescue as a screwed up ball from god knows where. I wear black trousers all the time and tend not to sit directly on my (unwastable covered) sofa now from too many experiences of leaving stains behind me from 'unexpected incidents'. The worry of embarrassing stains, plus the pain, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, thrush and general feeing of being unwell.. I bl**dy hate periods. Now I'm sneaky and dangerous and buy the pill on t'internet and take it back to back, so I don't get periods. I feel so much healthier. But it's not really a healthy solution and I'd love to find a pad that does what it's supposed to.

Why on earth are you buying medications on the internet when you can just go to your GP and get something prescribed to stop your periods and be properly monitored?
  • halogen
    that's why I said dangerous. My GP said the only contraception he would give me was the coil. I'm not interested in having one of those.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    halogen wrote: »
    that's why I said dangerous. My GP said the only contraception he would give me was the coil. I'm not interested in having one of those.

So go to a different GP, don't brag online about how you're taking stupid risks with your own health.
  • halogen
    It wasn’t intended as bragging. It was meant as an indication of how rubbish I find the products I have tried and how driven to desperate measures I have become. It was also a request for alternative suggestions…
    As for another GP…. I live in a small town, that’s not an option, besides no GP in their right mind would give the pill to an overweight 42 yr old.
    So yes it is a health risk but it’s a better solution than sitting on a towel wherever I go for 3 weeks a month.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    The pill isn!!!8217;t the only option. Your life, but i don!!!8217;t understand why you would be so reluctant to get proper care.
  • halogen
    You've lost me? What other options are there?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback