2017 - Spend less, live more

Comments

• Oh I'd love to tell you it gets better in teenage years but sadly not :(.

DD burnt her carpet by placing hot hair straighteners on the floor, nail vanish spilt on bedroom carpet.
    DS decided last summer to play cricket in his bedroom with his mate and put a cricket ball through the plaster. felt tip pen left on a sofa cushion with no lid on, I could go on and on :(.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    chanie wrote: »
    Thanks, I did visit that thread, but haven't been on for ages. My 'sneaky' trick was when OH refused to try own brand cereal and I bought some and put it in the branded box and Mr C didn't realise. When I told him the truth, he admitted he was impressed by my deviousnesss!!!

He's unimpressed with my latest effort though. Our kitchen sink was blocked and although I managed to plunge it clear, I bought some stuff to pour down the plug hole, whilst I was in Aldi. I've just seen the same stuff on offer in Costco, which is 20p more expensive, but two bottles instead of 1. Mr C was slightly bemused I'm going to all that effort of getting a refund and then driving to Costco. I didn't tell him that I had to fish the receipt out from the bin.

Ha ha that made me smile, had visions of you falling into the bin:rotfl:
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pelirocco wrote: »
    What did it cost you to return item to aldi,then drive to Costco?

Items can be seen to be cheaper if in a 'sale' but of course it's only a saving if it's something that's really needed. Maybe a better way would be to see how much you spend ,as opposed to what you 'save' ?

Costco is about 5 miles away, but I was in in the area anyway. We had a sink blockage a couple of weeks ago and I had to make a emergency dash to the local Supermarket and spent nearly £5 on unblocker, so I'm pleased I have a spare. As it turns out, it was £3.69 for 1 in aldi and £2.80 for two in Costco.

I could focus on how much I'm spending, but my challenge is about living more and spending less. I don't need to watch every penny, luckily, so this is about getting the most out if my money, when I do spend. You have given me something yo think about, so I will use my diary to spend less on the grocery shopping as this, seems to be getting out of hand.

Thanks for your comments.
  • chanie
    I got my skincare on offer today, saving £15. I used two different offers to maximise the savings - I tried to do this last week but the Sales Assistant said I couldn't combine offers, so I tried another store as I was passing and they put it through without any questions. Sometimes I think they make up the rules as they go along.
  • Bobarella
    I think your right.

• chanie
    Hi everyone,

I am here, but nothing to update, which is a good thing. Spending has been a minimum and I get paid next week (we got paid a week early at Christmas, so its been a long month!!!).

I hope everyone is well.
  • chanie
    I put in a claim with Southern railway for the recent strikes and they have given me £11.10 back on my ticket. The inconvenience was much greater than £11.10, but I've claimed back on the principle of the matter. In 2014, I claimed back about £20 in train delays, but last year I didn't manage to make any successful claims, despite being delayed.

Once the funds have cleared I will add to my signature.
  • Bobarella
    Hope you get it ok.

• chanie
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hope you get it ok.

Its been authorised, so there shouldn't be any problems. The Train companies seem to have lots of loopholes in their policies so that despite not getting where you need to on time, they don't have to pay.
  • chanie
    I just posted on the grabbit boards that I managed to buy 6 pairs of mens Xmas socks for 16p in Tesco. I only have about 4 men to buy for, but I thought it's worth grabbing a couple of spare as men are difficult to buy for and the Xmas socks are my 'go to' generic gift!!!

I also bought some Xmas wrapping paper for 25p on Sunday. Mr C pointed out that we already have loads. I counted 8 rolls including generic wrapping paper and most are opened.

That's probably the last of my Xmas bargains for now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure