ESA Assessment soon. Think I'm going to fail. I need some advice please

124»

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,847
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes I went to the assessment and I don't know how it went. I prefer the woman who did my assessment last time. The one I saw today just seemed very cold and robotic. Just asking questions from a script like if I'm able to make a cup of tea, but didn't really seem to ask much about how the depression and anxiety effects me, so I had to make a point to try bring up some of the ways it effects me myself. When I found out about my appointment last week I made some notes of things I could think of that might help
    What i still don't understand is how you even stepped outside the door to go to the assessment when you say you haven't been out for 10 months.

As you say you didn't fill in the ESA50 form, this must mean that you didn't send evidence to support your claim? Did you take evidence with you today to the assessment?
  • DramaQueen123
    DramaQueen123 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 1:05PM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    What i still don't understand is how you even stepped outside the door to go to the assessment when you say you haven't been out for 10 months.

As you say you didn't fill in the ESA50 form, this must mean that you didn't send evidence to support your claim? Did you take evidence with you today to the assessment?

The risk of starvation is a powerful motivator, and I had no evidence to take with me. Nothing had changed since the last assessment, only gotten worse, and I haven't seen my GP since then too.

If something is extremely important I do it. Otherwise I allow my anxiety to take over and don't do it. I have nobody to help me so I'm forced to do the important things myself whether it makes me uncomfortable or not
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The risk of starvation is a powerful motivator, and I had no evidence to take with me. Nothing had changed since the last assessment, only gotten worse, and I haven't seen my GP since then too.

If something is extremely important I do it. Otherwise I allow my anxiety to take over and don't do it. I have nobody to help me so I'm forced to do the important things myself whether it makes me uncomfortable or not

I hear you, what you're saying is not uncommon for someone with agoraphobia. Nor is not wanting someone in your home, it's your only safe space so having a stranger visit can be very overwhelming.

Have you looked at online support groups like Elefriends or Big White Wall? The latter is only free in some areas, but both are worth a look, and will give you someone to talk to that better understands your situation.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The thing is with counselling, psychologist and psychiatrist they will give you some tools to help yourself. They won!!!8217;t give a cure. You need to use these tools to help yourself.

You say you don!!!8217;t care about getting better. Surely you do if you have seen these people.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,500
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    People can only be helped when they are ready to be helped. You have to go through the process to be ready to be helped.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• If you have been receiving ESA for the last 3 years, surely you also receive Housing & Council Tax Benefit.

You say you haven't paid your rent for a long period of time, however, not paying Council Tax is a criminal offence and I'm sure non payment of CT would have resulted in a Magistrates Court Hearing and if non payment continues, the bailiffs obtain a warrant and will gain entry into your flat.

I feel the OP post is a bit off as there would be knock on effects over the last 3 years.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    OP, did you ever fill in and send off housing benefit and council tax support forms? Is it possible that they've been paying your landlord all this time and it was just bluster from him that he wouldn't 'let' you claim?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Nullboris
    Nullboris Posts: 62 Forumite
    Depression , not wanting to go out, not opening letters .. all things I used to do.
    I sort of ignored my problems , and it ended in me being homeless .
    However that made me pick up steam and after wandering the streets for hours, everything had sunk in.
    Now five years later I am in a better place , still not working, but mentally much better.
    Things can change , and sometimes it takes the falling to rock bottom to start to come back up.
    Don't give up .. maybe phone the Samaritans if that might help . Or HELP the aged,
    phone your GP and ask for help or again the CAB.
  • venison wrote: »
    The one thing that puzzles me OP is that you say you haven't been out for 10 months BUT can't face having the assessment at home?

As someone who suffers from crippling anxiety and depression as well, I can totally understand this. My flat is absolute mayhem due to me having no motivation and I panic so much about people coming here, my bedroom is the worst so if my family comes around I just shove everything I can in there and close the door. Unexpected visits are absolutely terrifying. But that also does not make the prospect of leaving the house and facing the world any easier.

OP, I am so sorry to hear you are struggling so much and please urge you to at least make a phone call appointment with your GP who may also be able to put you in touch with support services. I am very lucky in that I have a good relationship with my GP and he really understands, so I hope yours will be compassionate to your situation, too.

I'll come back to this thread later on.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ask your GP to refer you for a mental health assessment.It should get the ball rolling benefits wise after assessment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure