PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Letting Agent Wants to Cancel Agreement

Options
Hi!

I am hoping for some help with this very specific conflict with a letting agent.

Last week I made an offer to move in to an apartment next month. The agreement was that I'd rent the property for 2 years with a 1 year break clause. I communicated with the landlord through the letting agent and he/she accepted my offer and I paid the fee to take the property off the market on Friday. This is all documented in email, including a screenshot to prove payment and confirmation that the property had been taken off the market.

Today (Wednesday) the letting agent has informed me that the landlord has accepted an offer to BUY the apartment from another party, so therefore won't be continuing with our agreement. The letting agent has offered to refund me the fee and will help me to find somewhere else.

Do I have any case here or should I just look elsewhere? I appreciate any help!

Comments

• ssearson89
    ssearson89 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless you'd signed a tenancy agreement, you don't really have a leg to stand on unfortunately. Even if you had signed, the landlord could probably still sell the property with you in it as a going concern.

Sorry it's a bit rubbish, but good luck finding somewhere else :)
  • anonym0us1
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

The understanding was that if we moved in there would be viewings to sell it, but we'd have the contract for a year. My argument is that the landlord agreed to that and is now walking it back.

My offer was accepted on Friday, payment was made and now another offer has come in. Surely the original one stands?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like they're being pretty fair - and I presume your silence on ssearson89's question means you didn't sign.

Even if they continued with it now under duress and lost their sale, I guarantee they'll boot you out after a year. IMO you're better off accepting their deal and trying to remain on good terms in the hope the agency can find you another. Perhaps you can talk them into waiving some of the fee...
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • anonym0us1
    Options
    Sorry, I missed that. No contract was signed yet, just the agreement over the phone and email that the offer was accepted, money was paid and the property removed from the market.

The holding amount was paid and the principle terms of the contract were agreed, i.e. costs and duration.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    anonym0us1 wrote: »
    The letting agent has offered to refund me the fee and will help me to find somewhere else.

Do I have any case here or should I just look elsewhere? I appreciate any help!

Hi anonym0us1. It is unfortunate, perhaps, but you are back in the position you were before the verbal agreement was made, which is more than the letting agent had to do, I would imagine (depending on the terms of the agreement you did not sign) Even if this went to court (which there are no grounds for) the best you could hope for is what the LA has already offered you.

Chalk it up and learn from it: A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it is printed on. You don't always get your own way; hardly ever, in fact, unless you are Ivanka Trump or Paris Hilton.

This LA seems disposed to be helpful, which already makes them an endangered species so perhaps take them up on their offer to find you somewhere else... Or do so yourself.

If you owned a property and wanted to sell it, would you allow a verbal agreement with a prospective tenant you had never met to lose you the sale? Of course not.

Good luck in your search, I am sure you will find somewhere soon.
  • anonym0us1
    Options
    Hi Smodlet,

Thanks for the balanced and thoughtful reply. Yeah, I decided it's not worth contesting this and sure, I can see the landlord's perspective. It's obviously unfortunate for me, but c'est la vie.

I appreciate everyone's responses. This topic is now closed for me.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With such a philosophical attitude, you will find somewhere better very soon, I hope. Good on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure