Moving back to England - but where could we afford?

2»

Comments

• stores like sainsburys and tesco tend to be similar if you go to the larger supermarket stores. the smaller stores on the highstreets/garages will vary however. the sainsbury local in central london can be more expensive than others.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • MONEYTREE_2
    MONEYTREE_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Take a look at Hastings (where I live). Property is still cheap compared with say Brighton, London, etc.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,257
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We have been looking to rent in the South West for a while. Property prices vary a lot, generally the more rural the property, the cheaper it is.

I would imagine that the cheaper areas to rent are in the areas of higher unemployment as well. As a rough guide you will need to have an income of 2.5 times the rental value.
  • All things considered, on two teachers' salaries a family could live comfortably but not necessarily lavishly in many parts of the East Midlands or cheaper in parts of the North, but there will be variations according to locality. I can't really speak with experience of anywhere else. As others have said, housing costs are crucial.
    Do you have links with anyone, anywhere? It is always helpful financially if relatives can help out with some after school care when you have parents evenings etc. Also consider ease of transport as well as costs.
  • Just realised OP was 10 months ago. Did you reach a decision?
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    MONEYTREE wrote: »
    Take a look at Hastings (where I live). Property is still cheap compared with say Brighton, London, etc.
    Hastings is a bit rough in places. There are some areas that are better in Hastings than others.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just realised OP was 10 months ago. Did you reach a decision?
    She hasn't even logged in since Nov 2016.
  • I loved Liverpool; came for three weeks from Canada and haven't left since (4 years later).

Met my wife there too!
  • TheJackah
    TheJackah Posts: 56
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 April 2018 at 9:25PM
    There's some very recent data by a local estate agent Walton and Allen that might help. It doesn't discuss overall house prices, but looks at the average amount of time to save for a deposit to begin with.

The BBC also has a nice calculator on seeing where you could afford, based on house price: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033 - data is recent, from this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure