PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Natural Ground Subsidence

Options
Goath
Goath Posts: 63 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 12 February 2018 at 4:25PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all I am looking for some advice please

We are currently in the process of buying a detached property and we have had the survey done, and environmental searches have come back.

The property is in good condition, built in 2001, so nearly 20 years old

It!!!8217;s already been a long drawn out process and I don!!!8217;t want to hold things up any further. However the environmental searches have come back and stated that there is a Medium to High Risk of subsidence within the search area (which I think is 50m).

The attached paragraph, that comes with it does not really go into detail just that you MAY want to be concerned about it !!!8211; because the house sits on clay and has potential to move.

The survey on the house clearly states that there has been no subsidence, however a different survey contact has said that we need to ask the question, as to whether any Large Trees have been removed near the property (I have put forward this question to the Solicitors), is it Mined (its not)
When was the house constructed (2001), is it under warranty (its not)

There are large bushes down one side of the property boundary that provides a natural boundary for the playing fields at the other side.

Me, being a Fella thinks it will be ok, however the missus is now worried that the house is going to sink into the abyss!

Should I be concerned, has anyone had a similar experience, what can be done about it now to put it into a low risk category?, if we pull out now, surely someone else will come along and buy it and it will effect them and everyone else on the estate.

I've asked my parents, who did have movement in their house what they thought. Their house was built on shale (Spelling?) and have never been worried about it

Thanks in advance

Comments

• PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    A house on London clay has a risk of subsidence, as does one in an area susceptible to flooding.

If its on clay, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If there's a high risk of flooding, I'd forget it.
  • Goath
    Options
    Thanks, there is no flooding risk (according to the report, and I've never seen the area flooded) it was just that one area on the report that was a cause of concern
  • vicki2221
    Options
    We just lost a buyer because the exact same comment came up on their survey and they got nervous about it. But our EA tells us every house in the entire area will have this comment, it's a standard clause and nothing to worry about. Our house is 40 years old with no signs of actual subsidence. It wouldn't bother me personally, but I don't know if it would cause you issues when you come to resell (as mine has).
    Save £12k in 2018 #130 - £1200/£7,000
  • Goath
    Options
    vicki2221 wrote: »
    We just lost a buyer because the exact same comment came up on their survey and they got nervous about it. But our EA tells us every house in the entire area will have this comment, it's a standard clause and nothing to worry about. Our house is 40 years old with no signs of actual subsidence. It wouldn't bother me personally, but I don't know if it would cause you issues when you come to resell (as mine has).

Thank you - we don't intend on selling this for a very long time, and I agree that the entire estate will also have the same issue as well
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goath wrote: »
    Thank you - we don't intend on selling this for a very long time, and I agree that the entire estate will also have the same issue as well

It will be more than the estate, it will be the entire town or wider.

It isn’t something that is a specific concern to the house. If you want to live in that area then it will be on every search you have carried out. It’s a new house, it should be on good foundations.

There is no particular concern.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Cap_Hero
    Cap_Hero Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    Standard waffle imo so don't worry about it.
  • cristim
    Options
    My report came back with high risk of ground instability, I am worried and thinking if we should go ahead with the contract.
    What website have you used for the report ..I was thinking to try one more website
  • Goath
    Options
    I didn't use a website it was what came back on my search results via the Solicitor.

I'm not to worried about it to be honest I think its only "High Risk" because the house is built on clay - so applies to pretty much every other house in the area.
  • Goath
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, sorry for the delay in replying .... going to proceed and well into the process... not going to lose sleep over it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure