IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

I have not got a parking ticket

Options
As above this isn't a "how do I get out of this" post.

Our local Tescos have just this week put up signs to the effect that a private parking Co are monitoring their car park. Will post the details later as cannot recall but this is Tesco Clay Cross.

They do not charge for parking over any limits, There are no entry exit cameras although they stae the park is under cctv surveillance.(It is, the local police/authorities installed that 5 years ago, single camera for anpr).

So, no charge for parking just threat that anybody parked in a disabled bay without the relevant badge or parked outside a marked bay will receive a £70 parking CHARGE.

The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??
I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So, no charge for parking just threat that anybody parked in a disabled bay without the relevant badge or parked outside a marked bay will receive a £70 parking CHARGE.
    Tesco were making these statements over 12 months ago, and it was assumed that the trolley collector/pushers would be armed with a camera to snap any miscreant non-badge displayers, and pass to Tesco's preferred car park operator (Highview) for DVLA data access and subsequent enforcement action.

Not one such case has appeared here.

Equality Act issues may have since dawned on Tesco for them to do nothing more than display 'empty threat' notices.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Even though they don't say anything at the present I would fully expect them to shortly install ANPR, unless Tesco are actually paying them to "manage" the park they will have to get their money from somewhere and that's us.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Even though they don't say anything at the present I would fully expect them to shortly install ANPR, unless Tesco are actually paying them to "manage" the park they will have to get their money from somewhere and that's us.

Not sure about that, I suspect Highview are quite happy to have all these 'infractions' landing in their lap courtesy of Tesco trolley pushers, processing them and no doubt getting a cut from those who pay straight up.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, as I said "The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??"

I was just wondering how any parking company would have anything to do with a parking scam were the only losers would be tescos own customers when the only revenue was for parking bay transgressors.

I suppose you could throw the disability card in here but it's not what I meant to do. This is very recent as in a week ago so no change of direction as far as I can see.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

• Johno100
    edited 11 February 2018 at 5:41PM
    Options
    Yes, as I said "The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??"

I was just wondering how any parking company would have anything to do with a parking scam were the only losers would be tescos own customers when the only revenue was for parking bay transgressors.

I suppose you could throw the disability card in here but it's not what I meant to do. This is very recent as in a week ago so no change of direction as far as I can see.

Why not? No employees needed on site, no expensive CCTV or ANPR cameras to install/maintain/monitor, ths kudos of working with an organisation like Tesco and no doubt a fair percentage of 'transgressors' paying straight up. Some parking companies would probably pay for the privilege of such an opportunity.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Why not? No employees needed on site, no expensive CCTV or ANPR cameras to install/maintain/monitor, ths kudos of working with an organisation like Tesco and no doubt a fair percentage of 'transgressors' paying straight up. Some parking companies would probably pay for the privilege of such an opportunity.

But they would need employees on site, there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.

They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place. Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But they would need employees on site, there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.

They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place. Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????

and why not , they own the land , they can do as they wish , no red cars on a saturday aft , or no VW golfs on a tuesday

YOU cannot tell them what to do , simple as that , they OWN the land not you
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Theses PPCs are out and out scammers. Watch what MPs said about them in the HOC last week

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

Do your bit to bring this industry to its knees, complain in the most robust of language to your MP.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Johno100
    Options
    But they would need employees on site,

No they don't when they have Tesco trolley people to do it.
    there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor.

"In/out cameras" are no use if they are going after Disabled and Children & Parent bay 'infractions'. They need to be up close and personal for those. Not sure what you mean in the second part re the police.
    Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.

"Legal scrutiny":D we're on about the private car parking industry here and yes they are going to/have given a camera/smart phone device to the trolley guys who'll upload the photos they take (plus other details) to Highview to do the rest.
    They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place.

Of course they can, a trolley guy with a camera/smart phone is all the infrastructure they need. "Self Ticketing" where individuals, be they an employee at your local convenience store or a busy body pensioner at a residential housing complex, take photos of 'infractions' and passes them onto a parking company who then issue a charge is a widespread practice.
    Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????

They are doing it primarily for public relations and publicity reasons, they have obviously got some sort of feedback from their customers (or prompting from disability groups or Mumsnet) that has led them to believe there is a problem with the 'abuse' of Disabled and Parent & Child spaces. So they are doing something that will cost them very little and making sure it is well publicised.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ^^ Excellent analysis ^^
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport