Good insoles?

I could just jump on eBay right now and buy some but i'd prefer to see what others are using they they think worked well or didn't work well & what they used them for.

Right now i'm suffering from pain on the ball of my left foot. This at times extends to my second toe, it's like a tendon or something being stretched, but mostly the pain is the ball of the foot so i was looking for some decent insoles to help with this.

I think the cause is likely being in boots all day long for my job but there's little i can do about that.

So i'll be looking to buy in insoles for both my work boots and also my gym trainers that give most cushioning to the ball of the foot.

Suggestions?

Comments

• ss53
    ss53 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Had pain in ball of foot last week and bought Scholl Gel Work Insoles from Boots. Reduced from 15.99 to 10.66 at the moment.

Cut to fit and no pain since. Very impressed.
  • Thanks i'll take a look.

I've bought some in the past (not Scholl ones) and they've just gone down to wafer thin in no time or they've just offered no real cushioning at all which is why i was on here looking for recommendations.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Sorbothane double strike. Not cheap but excellent.

http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/products/double-strike
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • indesisiv wrote: »
    Sorbothane double strike. Not cheap but excellent.

http://www.sorbothane.co.uk/products/double-strike
    Those are actually the ones i currently have in :rotfl:
  • Well i bought the Scholl ones in Boots today. Just unpacked them. Really wish you could get a proper look at them before you buy them because having unpacked them they're terrible.

There's reasonable heel support which i wasn't overly fussed about. Felt decent enough but i'm not having heel pain. Couldn't see the cushioning for the ball of the feet though before opening.

Upon opening i found that it's zero. Totally zero. May as well be tracing paper.
  • ThermaCell Rechargeable Heated Insole from Amazon.
  • I remember hearing something about avoiding arch support for shoes/insoles. So now i just use a pair of flat gel insoles, got them in trespass for £5.
  • Well i bought the Scholl ones in Boots today. Just unpacked them. Really wish you could get a proper look at them before you buy them because having unpacked them they're terrible.

There's reasonable heel support which i wasn't overly fussed about. Felt decent enough but i'm not having heel pain. Couldn't see the cushioning for the ball of the feet though before opening.

Upon opening i found that it's zero. Totally zero. May as well be tracing paper.

Unless you can wrap them back up and return them, you might as well try them. It could be that lack of arch support is the underlying issue. I've tried a well known and expensive insole for my shoes and running shoes, and they have very little padding at the front, they mainly support the arches and raise the heels. Sports shops are sometimes good for advice, as well as sports/running forums.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2018 at 1:00PM
    Unless you can wrap them back up and return them, you might as well try them. It could be that lack of arch support is the underlying issue. I've tried a well known and expensive insole for my shoes and running shoes, and they have very little padding at the front, they mainly support the arches and raise the heels. Sports shops are sometimes good for advice, as well as sports/running forums.

I think this is good advice - without knowing how severe your problem is. I've used Superfeet(?) insoles and they are pretty good. Get them from running shops and places like Cotswold.

My best advice though - see a podiatrist. If your GP can't get a NHS appointment quickly try private.

My feet are completely "flat" and I used to suffer terribly from foot pain, ankle pain, shin splints, knee pain and hip pain. I got some orthotics (ie prescription insoles) made up privately and they solved all those problems. It was quite costly but the saving in pain and discomfort was well worth it.

The problem with your 2nd toe - is that called "Morton's" or something similar? I had same problem - podiatrist just gave it some manipulation (actually a really painful yank!) and it disappeared.

See a podiatrist if you can afford it - it will be worth it unless you can get a quick NHS appointment.

EDIT: Actually I think you may have "Morton's neuroma" which is not what I had. First port of call is your GP for advice. If NHS not helpful consider going private if you can afford it. If work boots are a problem, does your employer have any Occ Health provision to help you? Finally, do you have a local Scholl shoe shop - they can offer some foot advice but you may need to pay for it - or they could sell you something to solve the problem!?
  • I tried Superfeet in my ice skates, but they raised my foot up, which led to lace bite. Ordinary shoes are quite different from ice skates, so you may well get on with Superfeet.

I was able to get a full refund for my Superfeet from the shop where I bought them, as the manufacturer were doing a full refund if not happy deal, with a time period, 30 days maybe? I think they still do it (in the UK), so it might be worth thinking about.

And since you ask -:rotfl: - I replaced the Superfeet with Bauer Speedplates, but those are not suitable for shoes as they are rigid. Superb in ice hockey skates though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure