PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor exchanged without following mortgage advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Lkp21
    Options
    We used these Solicitors when we brought our current house and we had no issues.
    Were we wrong to assume she had sent the buildings surveyor report to the bank and they were satisfied before she exchanged?!
    Considering we are paying quite a bit of money for her services I don’t think we should have to check to make sure she’s done everything first.
    I have written a complaint to the email address issued on their website following their complaints procedure. I have been informed this is being reviewed this week and she couldn’t comment why an exchange was made under these circumstances.
    We’re supposed to complete next Friday!
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just been back through my emails, in addition to the phone call I also had this from my solicitor:

"Good news, we have received the Authority to Exchange and therefore should be ready to exchange contracts tomorrow.

I will obtain an up to date completion build date and come back to you tomorrow for your formal authority to exchange."

It really does sound like your solicitor has missed something important here by not asking you if you were ready to exchange and just going ahead... :S
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    If Santander says no, your solicitor is up **** creek without a paddle. They absolutely must seek confirmation from both you and the lender that they have authority to exchange contracts.
    G_M wrote: »
    If also acting for the lender, he appears to have Exchanged without the lender's consent.

Not quite, exchange in between the buyer & vendor, the lender isn't usually committed to anything at this point. So the solicitor doesn't need the lender's authority to exchange.

Ofcourse the solicitor should ensure everything is in place so the lender is satisfied and the buyer gives authority to exchange, so that the buyer isn't committed to a purchase that they can't fund because the lender refuses to lend. But that's due to the solicitor's duty to the buyer. The solicitor's duty to the lender only comes in ensuring everything is in place before completing using the lender's funds.
  • demonloop
    Options
    The contracts that were exchanged have to be signed, if you've signed it have you not already given your consent? That's my understanding but I could be wrong.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    demonloop wrote: »
    The contracts that were exchanged have to be signed, if you've signed it have you not already given your consent? That's my understanding but I could be wrong.
    Definitely not. They're signed in advance - could be 3 weeks ahead, or 3 days. Certainly not legally binding until exchanged.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    demonloop wrote: »
    No.

That's why when you sign you don't date the contract. Or insert the Completion date. The solicitor adds both these dates on your instruction at a later time (ie the day of Exchange).

Signing in advance is purely to facilitate Exchange later - otherwise you'd have to go in to the solicitor's office to sign on the Exchange date (which won't be known in advance, and might anyway change).
  • westernpromise
    Options
    Lkp21 wrote: »
    We used these Solicitors when we brought our current house

Where did you bring your current house from? Maybe your solicitor is more used to how they do this there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure