Personal Cloud

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    In Corp environment upload is great, is US it is not bad but in UK it is a real issue, even virgin limiting it.

Just to clarify, the A in ADSL stands for Asymmetric - ie you sacrifice some upload speed for better download speed, because this suits almost everyone, almost all of the time. Symmetrical connections are available, but measurably dearer :)
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    I am aware of that but thanks for education the others.

It was my point that unless you had high end fibre OP plan was not practical.

Best I have seen on BT is around 8mb but others here have better.

The biggest issue I have with ADSL is that if you use say 50% of a paltry 0.7 upload the download speed and the PC get very slow.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    As I said in my previous post we are currently on 70 Meg.

Streaming would be outside the home.

It is really for access outside of the home that I want NAS, both upload and download.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • DavidP24
    DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
    Just noting that others say Virgin is capped on upload and seen others noting too.

So if you are streaming from your PC or NAS to say a relative you might be OK depending on the platform you use. E.G. Plex (Nas would need to be seriously powerful, better to use cheap PC).

If you had an upload of say 7mb then that would be your download speed from elsewhere, less any latency of the infrastucture.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Virgin stopped doing the 70Mb ages ago. You need to phone them and get hold of retentions, then negotiate a deal you are happy with. The minimum is now 100Mb.
    On the 200Mb package I get 12Mb upload. My brother-in-law also has a MyCloud and we regularly view/download films from each others. So far, we haven't experienced any problems.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unless you're looking to access +2TB worth of data away from home you're far easier and cheaper to go with Hosted Cloud rather than personal.

It depends what sort of files you're looking to stream/open as well as a Personal Cloud/NAS solution needs a good router and good connection to make it worthwhile.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    RumRat wrote: »
    Virgin stopped doing the 70Mb ages ago. You need to phone them and get hold of retentions, then negotiate a deal you are happy with. The minimum is now 100Mb.
    On the 200Mb package I get 12Mb upload. My brother-in-law also has a MyCloud and we regularly view/download films from each others. So far, we haven't experienced any problems.

Quite happy with 70 at the moment, not expecting to have to upload a lot at any one time apart from at the start, so can tolerate low upload speeds.

Not really happy about using paid for cloud, mainly because I am paranoid and convinced they will get everyone using it and then the price will spike. And using this unit we could access it through usb if the net was down, and it is normally down at the worst time.

I do use the cloud, mainly because that is a decision my computer seems to make!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you looked at the DLINK box i metioned?

You say you trust WD devices, just stick WD drives into it?

If your sticking films on it and not deleting them 3TB will soon fill up.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Enterprise_1701C
    Have you looked at the DLINK box i metioned?

You say you trust WD devices, just stick WD drives into it?

If your sticking films on it and not deleting them 3TB will soon fill up.

I've looked at it, and it is in consideration, just adding the extra £100 or so for the hard drives just make it a bit pricier.

Not thinking about sticking a lot of films on it and leaving them there. The home movies we have, along with a lot of the pictures we have, are currently on an ancient 100 GB PVR, it is more than 10 years old which is partly what sparked the search for an up-to-date alternative.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sad old git adding his worthless 2d worth
    So as I understand
    What I am after is a backup and storage for photos and home videos, and this needs to be accessible from outside the house too, especially some files that are actually for our business. It will be used to backup computers when they are shut down, so may well be woken up only two or three times a day on average.
    For business use, NO NO definitely NO, do not expose your files to the Internet, for backup use, do NOT expose them on the Internet , are you following the CAPITAL letters thus far;) If you want to access the cat/grandkids/unmentionable pics use dropbox/google drive/iCloud or similar. If you really want to expose other files out there encrypt then first and then access them with your own private key...easy with the same platform , not so with most portable platforms.
    If you want a backup solution don't leave it on your home systems permanently, and certainly don't leave them on the WWW unless encrypted.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure