Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik

MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 May 2020 at 4:53PM in Energy
This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Tonik

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did your switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Decided to switch to Tonik from OVO after seeing quote of £x a month on this site; got the same quote on Tonik's site too; DD was set up 16% more than the £x in the two quotes. Explanation from Tonik- it's winter, you'll use more. Fair enough, and in their Ts&Cs they give themselves the option to do this, but IMO it's not a great experience for a new customer. Have cancelled switch now, staying with OVO.
  • Switched to Tonik just before Xmas...from Ovo...after they came up in a Which switch search as the cheapest option with no exit fee.

Also had the warning about the 16% hike but it didn't materialise for us....We pay about £20 a month less than we did with Ovo already.

No problems switching over and response times are very good, even by email.

The only downside is that Ovo had good smart meter integration (to see usage) but Tonik does not have tools for this yet although they said they will do at some point.

Very happy so far.
  • gainsboroughgirl
    gainsboroughgirl Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2017 at 12:30AM
    First I signed up to avro but for the extra 2 quid a month I could go all green with tonik. My other half refused to pay the hike over winter when we had based the quote on actual 12 months kwh. They told me they do pay 3% on in credit balance and I can ask for it back anytime. However, after some degree of discussion, they would divide the annual figure by 12 and charge me that. I was happy enough with that though now see there is still 2 quid a month in it. Still, no good being a nimby if I don't put my money where my mouth is and I can now afford the 2 quid hike. In any case, I reckon 3% (and if do the maths on the 3& with natwest rewards or santander utilities on current account, any credit they have from you would be gaining 6%. Just a thought! Anyway, cancelled avro in the cool off and giving these guys a chance. Martin- I was told by tonik that if they go under offgem have to get a supplier but your info says one would then have to look for another deal when tonik told me they also have to honour the existing tarriff- if they are to be believed, this was news to me. Can anyone clarify this is true?
    Also, tonik told me yesterday that they went live first time on the comparison sites yesterday- only 2000 customers and going since last summer but are about to grow- hopefully their admin can keep up. I also wonder Martin why avro went off the energyclub list on friday evening 3 feb because that's when I was looking, having decided on them a few days before then avro was gone. Now it's back! A glitch?
  • All nice and easy to change except reading 24 pages of Ts & Cs. Then the welcome email came and it says 'We will take your first Direct Debit payment on your supply start date once your transfer to Tonik is complete. We will email you to confirm your supply start date in the next couple of weeks'.
    Nowhere was there any mention of this on MSE or the Tonik website
    It is a fairly new company with no accounts published at Companies House and they have extended their report date. I would accept all of that had I not been lending them money.
    I rang and cancelled. To be fair the guy on the phone was very pleasant but I am not a gambler.
  • Thought it was sorted a month ago but since then Tonik did not cancel the switch and has taken over the supply of electricity, leaving my gas supply contract with OVO. Truly dire mishandling. Both Tonik and OVO appear quite unconcerned and reactions have been slow inaccurate and ineffective so far.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thought it was sorted a month ago but since then Tonik did not cancel the switch and has taken over the supply of electricity, leaving my gas supply contract with OVO. Truly dire mishandling. Both Tonik and OVO appear quite unconcerned and reactions have been slow inaccurate and ineffective so far.

Contact Ovo. Tell them you have been the victim of an erroneous transfer and wish them to act immediately to ensure you remain an OVO customer.

If OVO are not chomping at the bit to ensure you remain their customer, then something is not quite as you imply...
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    NevLids wrote: »
    All nice and easy to change except reading 24 pages of Ts & Cs. Then the welcome email came and it says 'We will take your first Direct Debit payment on your supply start date once your transfer to Tonik is complete. We will email you to confirm your supply start date in the next couple of weeks'.
    It is a fairly new company with no accounts published at Companies House and they have extended their report date. I would accept all of that had I not been lending them money.
    I rang and cancelled. To be fair the guy on the phone was very pleasant but I am not a gambler.
    When will my first Direct Debit payment be taken?
    Your first Direct Debit payment is taken on your supply start date (the day we begin supplying your property with energy). Your ongoing monthly payments will be taken on the same date each month moving forward. You can change your Direct Debit payment date to suit you after your first Direct Debit has been taken. You can do this through your secure online account which you will be given access to a few days before your supply start date.

http://www.tonikenergy.com/help/

Still, enjoy the Stella Artois supplier/tariff you eventually elected to have :cool:

Good luck!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    NevLids wrote: »
    All nice and easy to change except reading 24 pages of Ts & Cs. Then the welcome email came and it says 'We will take your first Direct Debit payment on your supply start date once your transfer to Tonik is complete. We will email you to confirm your supply start date in the next couple of weeks'.

What is it that you think you are gambling? All energy suppliers have to pay for their wholesale energy in advance of supply. The reason they can offer cheap(er) prices is because they are not having to borrow money on the market.

But what if they have my money and go broke? All credit balances are now fully protected by Ofgem as is the tariff that you are on. Ofgem will arrange to transfer your supply under what are known as Supplier of Last Resort procedures.

You may have just turned down a good deal for the sake of one month's pay=ment in advance.
  • mycar37
    mycar37 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Decided to switch to Tonik from OVO after seeing quote of £x a month on this site; got the same quote on Tonik's site too; DD was set up 16% more than the £x in the two quotes. Explanation from Tonik- it's winter, you'll use more. Fair enough, and in their Ts&Cs they give themselves the option to do this, but IMO it's not a great experience for a new customer. Have cancelled switch now, staying with OVO.

BB37--Thanks for that feedback. Was just about to switch but not now.
    P.S. MSEs comment about the TCR is right on the money - useless.
    BB37
  • Quick post: Joined and then left for a better deal. They carried on billing me despite them even sending me emails saying the direct debit had been cancelled. FIVE months later, they still haven't done final bill, owe me £150 and every time I ring they say oh yes we'll do something do nothing. Multiple calls, no consistency (no record of previous contact?) and nothing ever followed up. Not sure who they have running it but certainly wouldn't let them anywhere near a drinking event at a brewery!
    Have now got ombudsman involved and they haven't even replied to them!
    TLDR: !!!! poor don't touch!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure