IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye DEFEATED in Court today

Comments

• trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hovite wrote: »
    @Bargepole - would you mind if I used a redacted version of your post on the Aldi Facebook page ?

It's already on there!
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Parking eye will have to change their web site
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Great result bargepole.

Maybe we can suggest people quote the case in any future POPLA appeals.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well done on your hard and helpful work Bargepole.

Oh how we need just one of these to get to a high court!

Cant see them adding this case to their Parking Eye News page!
  • Be interesting if they really tried to appeal.....
    Proud to be a member of the Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Gang.:D:T
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Parking Prankser is reporting that PE have bought by C(r)apita. I wonder if they now want to change their mind?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2013 at 7:40PM
    Why would they? Until it becomes an offence to put invoices on cars Capita will carry on doing so. The number who appeal is tiny, a minor inconvenience to a company as large as Capita.

They undertake billions of pounds worth of Govt contracts, they have MPs as their lapdogs so the MPs won't upset the gravy train.

Did you notice how the spotlight was on Councils today for not giving any leeway when giving out tickets? When will the Govt spotlight move to PPCs?
  • Hovite_2
    Hovite_2 Posts: 749 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2013 at 7:42PM
    trisontana wrote: »
    Parking Prankser is reporting that PE have bought by C(r)apita. I wonder if they now want to change their mind?

Appears he's correct - http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/532755-capita-drives-away-with-57m-parkingeye.html?news_section=4158

People should now expect threats from Equita !

EDIT - I'll add that as an ex-Capita employee, Capita are ruthless. This is a worrying development.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Wet blanket time.

Guess I am not going to be popular here, but I think this is a rogue decision and before we all get drunk on this success - which I am very happy for - I wouldn't bet on a repeat any time soon, except in this judge's court.

Even the sainted Judge McIlwaine didn't take this view and throw out the PPC without hearing the casel.

I wouldn't want to see any thread starter being given false hope or advice from this one decision.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    Wet blanket time.

Guess I am not going to be popular here, but I think this is a rogue decision and before we all get drunk on this success - which I am very happy for - I wouldn't bet on a repeat any time soon, except in this judge's court.

Even the sainted Judge McIlwaine didn't take this view and throw out the PPC without hearing the casel.

I wouldn't want to see any thread starter being given false hope or advice from this one decision.
    I would have to agree with the above. I had meticulously prepared my paperwork, with coloured tabs marking the sections to be referred to, together with quite a list of awkward questions to ask the Claimant's solicitor after he had presented his case, and then a well structured argument to put over the main points of the defence.

In the event, I didn't get to use any of that, because the Judge seized on one particular aspect - not one that I was expecting - and focused on that to the exclusion of all else.

As I said to the defendant while we were waiting, these small claims hearings are a complete lottery, they might as well save everyone the bother of turning up, and just toss a coin.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure