PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

help! has anyone made doughnuts in a BM.

Hi every one, I know they are not very good for you,but I thought I would make some doughnuts in my bread machine, I have a Morphy Richards one , I followed the recipe exactly as it was printed in the book,when the machine had finnished the instructions said roll out dough to 1/2" thick and cut with a pastry cutter, leave to rise in a warm place,when I tipped my dough out onto my work surface ,it was very runny and impossible to cut, I scraped it up and put it on a baking tray to see if it would rise, it did but only a little.In the end I just put spoonfuls into a deep frying pan and fried them for a few minutes,they looked nothing like doughnuts,any ideas what I did wrong? thanks................

Comments

• I have made the doughnuts from the morphy richards book ( recipe posted somewhere < help squeaky). Mine turned out really well.

Either the water added was too much, or not enough flour. Flours absorb water differently. what quantities did you use?

Perhaps if you put the recipe on here we can check.

Which reminds me, I have half a quantity of doughnut dough in the freezer, must get it out this weekend. :D
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi foreverskint,the recipe I used was,1 1/4 cup of milk,1 medium egg,1/4 cup of butter,1/4 cup of sugar,1 tsp salt, 3 3/4 cups of strong flour,1 1/2 tps yeast,............thanks for your help.
  • Thats me stumped then.

Make sure you're not using really large eggs?

was the yeast ok?

I wonder if you added enough flour. I know the other day I was making a loaf, got distracted, by the little one, and didn't add enough water. Only realised that when the BM was making awful noises trying to mix the dough that was too dry:o .

If I were you I would try again. I know the recipe works, or my wasitline does:D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I have made the doughnuts from the morphy richards book ( recipe posted somewhere < help squeaky). Mine turned out really well.

[post=654410]Doughnuts[/post]

They were in the Main Old Style Recipe Collection instead of the Breadmaking one :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Its days like this I wish I had a deep fat fryer....however, its the days that OH starts talking about chips that I'm glad we don't have one.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The yeast I used was fine, Ill have another go at making them and see what happens, if yours turned out OK maybe I made a mistake with the recipe. ............thanks foreverskint.
  • I remember making doghnuts with my mum when I was about 12 years old. We made the dough and stuck them in the deep fat fryer like the book said. After a while we took them out, tried them and discovered we'd completely cocked it up. Mum being RSPB friendly decided to "throw them to the birds on the conservatory" and cracked the glass roof :j Ooops!
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
  • I was wondering if anyone had a good recipe for making donuts in a deep fryer (perhaps with the aid of a breadmaker.)
    :beer:
  • Ooh I saw an easy one for mincepie doughnuts or you can use chocolate or jam, take ultra cheap plastic bread, take a rolling pin to it, flatten right down, with lots of slices, then take round cutters to each slice make lots of rounds of flat bread, put a dollop of your chosen filling in the centre, of a circle, add another circle on the top squish the edges together, dip in batter, deep fry and dust in sugar once cooked.

Worth a try !
  • Thanks! I think I've heard of donuts starting with white bread, too.

But, I'm craving real donuts... hoping somebody will have experience with them...
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport