PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Yeast free bread

Hello,

I'd quite like to have a bash at making wholemeal yeast free bread (I guess it would be a kind of soda bread). I don't have a breadmaker (sorry - just no more room at all in my already overcrowded kitchen) and would like it to be simple as possible with no hard-to-find ingredients, then I can add any fancy stuff (like nuts/seeds etc) later.

I had a look at the mega thread but couldn't seem to find anything like what I'm looking for.

Thank you kindly in advance :)

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's dead easy - no kneading :D

But you'll need buttermilk, which you should get in a health food store or a large supermarket.

Google for soda bread recipe found this. For "bread soda" you simply use bicarbonate of soda

HTH
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    From a discussion elsewhere about sourdough...

>
    >
    >How do you make sourdough?

As in sourdough bread?

Mix flour and water and presumably a bit of sugar and chuck in anything
    (other than meat or fish) 'past its best' and leave it on the windowsill
    for a few days till it froths. Then mix it into flour and knead it into
    bread dough consistency, leave to rise (it doesn't much) then bake. A
    brick-sized loaf will weigh pretty well much the same as a brick!

Despite that, when I've had it (made by other people - never made it
    myself) it's tasted reasonably good.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    What is Bextartar as mentioned in that first recipe on the link, please?

Also, what is pinhead oatmeal as found in Delia's recipe? And where do I get it?

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000001422.asp
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Bextartar is just a brand name for cream of tartar which is available in most supermarkets etc.

As for the oatmeal... dunno... sorry.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Pinhead oatmeal - Holland & Barrett will definitely stock it. As will a larger supermarket - ask Customer Services or try the ethnic food section, the "posh" food section or the healthy eating section. It's sometimes in the breakfast cereal section!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mum's recipe's on this page - http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Cookery/Bread_Making/ - you could just substitute 14 oz wholemeal flour for the white and bran if that's easier for you.

I'm not sure sour dough would be appropriate for a yeast free diet if that's your reason for doing it because the dough is supposed to pick up/develop its own wild yeasts...it is probably still better than store bought though.

You don't have to use buttermilk either, you can use plain yoghurt, or even milk and lemon if you have nothing else.
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • Badgergal
    Thanks bugs that is one useful site! Also like the tortilla recipe.

Not aiming for a completely yeast free diet, but trying to cut down. Once when I was about 17 I somehow managed it for 2 weeks (very strict) and I looked and felt fantastic (clear eyes and skin etc, lost weight) but it was hard!
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    badgergal. Look out for yeast in other products. ie Marmite/Tomato ketchup/gravy powder/stock cubes etc if you are trying to avoid yeast.
  • Badgergal
    Thanks Maisie - that's why I only stuck to the original diet for 2 weeks - it wasn't a case of what you couldn't eat, it was what you could (ie a very small list by the time you've excluded yeast and sugary things that feed yeast, fermented things etc etc!!).

Just thought bread was one way of making a change and perhaps saving money on decent bread into the bargain!
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pinhead oatmeal is just another name for fine, it comes in fine, medium and coarse. I buy mine from Booths, but most supermarkets sell it with the cereals, usually next to the porridge oats.

It makes lovely oatcakes and biscuits.

There is a good wholemeal bread recipe here, and it uses vinegar too!

http://www.womens-natural-health.com/yeastfreebread.html

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure