PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaker - Panasonic V Morphy Richards

Hi All. I have posted a question on one of the other threads, but not sure if perhaps attatching it to that means it's been missed?:confused:
Allready a huge fan of my Slow cooker that seems to save me a fortune and help me get organised (quite a challenge!) having read lots on this forum about the pro's and cons of breadmakers I've decided that with my 3 boys a breadmaker will be a real assett.
Money of course is very very tight, however from what I've read it's important to get the right breadmaker. The general consensus seems to be that both the morphy richards compact (48280 model on amazon) and the panasonic SD253 are both pretty good (lol, excellent for the latter!) breadmakers.
I was all set to buy the morphy richards model until I read that the wholemeal bread results tend to be poor - does everyone with one of these models agree? And of those of you who have a panasonic, does it turn out a good 100% wholemeal loaf? Also, what is the 'rapid bake' facility like on the Panasonic - I've seen that it's not even worth trying on the Morphy Richards!
Finally I do want to be able to add nuts and seeds etc to the bread - does it really make much difference adding these extras at just the right time? And how fiddly is doing it the 'right' way with the Morphy Richards?
It's quite a big invesment so I really would appreciate all input to help me get it right.
Best Wishes
Kaz x
PS I've deleted the other posts - seems daft to have the question in both places! Don't seem to be having much luck with one either...... is it me?:confused:
January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The majority of the bread we make in the Panasonic Bread maker is 75%/100% Wholemeal and thoroughly recommend it.

We have had two other bread makers in the past but the Panasonic is by far the best.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    I had the Morphy Richards BM after reading about it on Which? I followed the directions exactly but my bread was always stodgy and not very nice. I tried many different flours and brands of yeast, but never got a decent loaf of anything, let alone wholemeal. Mine beeped when it was time to add nuts, etc. It wasn't hard but you needed to be within hearing distance.

After much humming and hawing I ebayed the MR and got a Panasonic - and I cannot believe the difference. I was convinced it would not be much better but every loaf is fab and very similar to bakery bread. Whole wheat and granary included. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

So. I may have got a lemon Morphy Richards as I have read that lots of people love them, but I wouldn't take any chances and buy the Panasonic. It is fantastic, and used every day.

HTH

~Lynn

PS not tried the rapid bake on the Panasonic yet.
    :happylove
  • bratsmum
    bratsmum Posts: 27 Forumite
    I'll answer for the Panasonic for you.

Mine is on practically every night to wake up to fresh bread in the morning. I tend to do one granary loaf, then the next day a white loaf and both always have excellent results. I do the medium size, plenty big enough and easier to slice. I also do the wholemeal loaf sometimes (not that often) using about 50/50 white and wholemeal flour, again medium size, and always nice and light, not stodgy, a good loaf. I do use Hovis or Dove flour if this makes a difference.

Also do the dough setting (on now in fact!) but it does take 2hrs 20 mins to do this. Again always had success with this.

As far the rapid bake have only done this with the packet mixes, either granary or white, and again no complaints whatsoever.

Adding the seeds and nuts with the Panasonic is handy when it is on at night time, one less thing for me to forget to do.

Amazon has them with free P & P at £76.97

Hope this helps a little bit.
    Egg @ 3.9% until 1/7/06 = £1798
    MBNA @ 2.9% until 1/9/06 = £5314
    A & L @ 0.9% until 1/9/06 = £4743
    MBNA @ 0.9% until 1/9/06 = £8768

Debt free aim March 08 if not before :dance:

No smoking day Friday 31st March using hypnotherapy paid for by OH's work!!!
    Smoking? Did I smoke?
  • Hi
    I bought a morphy richards one because of the collapsing paddle and it was cheaper.
    It didn't make nice bread and the paddle kept on getting stuck making a large hole in the bottom of the bread so i took it back to the shop and bought a panasonic from amazon. It is on nearly every night making lovely bread ready for the morning.:T
    100 % wholemeal is prefect every time
    The nut dispenser one is worthwhile getting which is the one I got, especially when baking on the timer.
  • I have the Morphy Richards 48280. Yes, if you follow the recipe of the wholemeal bread in the instruction manaul, it will be very hard to eat. I alter the recipe a little bit by adding 1 cup of strong white flour to replace 1 cup of strong wholemeal flour. The outcome is much better. :smiley:
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Oh, thank you so much everyone!!! :heart:
    It certainly sounds as though the panasonic is going to be better for me. It really helps to have a lot of opinions on this - I struggle with making decisions like this because it seems madness to spend when I'm so skint. :o However with three boys I'm allways running out of bread and having to buy at the local store which is sooo expensive. I also tend to buy 'special' bread when I make homemade soups etc. I've recently found that the cheap bread seems to make me ill, so can't buy the value stuff anyway!
    On top of all this of course is as I've read in many posts - having to pop out and get bread also results in impulse buys. I'm really trying to reduce my shopping to just once a week - which is allready saving me loads!:D
    (I've even persuaded the boys to eat just bread and butter instead of sarnies between meals if we get a B/M!:rotfl: )
    Kaz x
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
  • billieboy_2
    billieboy_2 Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would definitely vouch for the Panasonic SD253. I've had mine since September last year and have not bought a loaf of bread since. I make 100% wholemeal, granary and the spiced fruity loaf with 50/50. I always make the medium loaf. Very occasionally the paddle gets stuck (about twice since I've had it) but that's usually when I don't get the bread out the minute it's finished. It's fine on the rapid bake. Doesn't rise quite so much but the quality and texture is still good. I can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Is Noodle poodle the only fan of the Morphy Richards? I thought there were a few others on here also - I would be really interested to hear whether you've had good results with wholemeal or if it's just the white or 50/50 (I'm assuming the replacing 1 cup = a 50/50?).
    Given the financial pickle I'm in I'm trying hard to take my time over chosing one (or indeed whether it's right for me) so if there are any more opinions out there on either machine I'd really appreciate any posts.
    Thanks all,
    Kaz x
  • dorsetmiss_2
    dorsetmiss_2 Posts: 697 Forumite
    I have the Morphy Richards 48280. Yes, if you follow the recipe of the wholemeal bread in the instruction manaul, it will be very hard to eat. I alter the recipe a little bit by adding 1 cup of strong white flour to replace 1 cup of strong wholemeal flour. The outcome is much better. :smiley:

Hi

I'm a Morphy Richards fan too and like noodlepoodle I replace one cup of wholemeal flour...but with just bog standard plain value flour and find it works brilliantly. Made a luvverly rosemary and onion loaf yesterday!
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    I have a Morphy Richards. Bought it at the time because it seemed like a good option, and wasn't as expensive as the Panasonic. Didn't want to spend all that money and end up with a large doorstop. Yes I'm a bit of a skinflint and didn't want to spend the extra cash.

For the most part I either bake white or wholemeal loaves or rolls. Have no complaints except I do end up with a hole in the bottom of my loaves. In fact I love the bread and will bake as often as I can. Have also tried cakes & hotcross buns....everything I make gets eaten quick. Pizzas are absolutely lovely...thanks to my partner's fair hands.

If I knew then what I know now (and if I had the money) I'd probably have bought the Panasonic (if I'm 100% honest with myself). However, I have a Morphy and so far can't see any point in buying a different one...as it does the job I need it to superbly. It has all the functions I need, so really if I had bought the panasonic I'd have wasted around £60.

I know...I don't help much
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure