PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! What happened to my bread?!

Options
badbread.jpg

*sob*

I found some 'bread machine flour' going cheap the other day, so thought I'd dust off my Hinari Homebaker and give it a try. First loaf - perfection. Pure perfection. Tasty, too. White, soft, crusty and while not long-lasting, has done us for sarnies.

Second loaf - see above. Same flour, same ingredients AFAIK, but instead of a nice loaf, I got a whorled-up thing that tasted damp and claggy and rather salty (I did use the requisite 3tsp salt for once, though) with a hint of doughnut about the edges.

Can any bm expert out there pinpoint what I may have left out/screwed up to get this effect? Please?

Water not warm enough? Too much salt? Not enough yeast? (asks for 1/2tsp which seems tiny, but it is the dried packet stuff). Yeast open since Wednesday in fridge with peg on it. Too much yeast?

Comments

• manicdays
    manicdays Posts: 235 Forumite
    Options
    dunno, but the Tate Gallery might be interested! ;)

I've never ever baked bread....Something on my to-do list...

Lisa x
    MoneyBox savings £30.37 (10/05/06)
    Now at................£54.50(07/06/06)

:j :j :j :beer: :beer: :T

Bank account RBS in the black

Bank account Lloyds in the RED :mad:
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Awww hun, I dunno what it is, but it isn't just you. My last 2 loaves have been like this and the one before that was one of the sunken top jobs.

Like you, one loaf is fine, then when I duplicate that recipe I get a disaster. I wish I could be more help, but I'm struggling as well. Maybe we should all start posting a much information about our bread disasters as we can on the same thread in the hope of spotting a pattern?

If we list the make of BM used; setting; type and make of flour and yeast, order in which added to the machine and so on? What do people think?
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    Options
    Too much salt I would say. My book says 2 teaspoons.Mine is also hinari.
    No idea what went wrong, but this is a recipe from my book.
    2lb whaite loaf
    13 fl oz water
    20 oz strong plain flour
    1 tablespoon dried milk powder
    2 tsp salt
    3 teaspoons sugar
    1.5 oz butter 2 tsp dried yeast

I always use 2 spoons of yeast and often only 1 spoon of salt. The dried milk powder is optional realy. The important balance is the sugar/yeast/salt ratio.
    My conclusion is too much salt and not enough yeast.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    manicdays wrote:
    dunno, but the Tate Gallery might be interested! ;)

Lisa x

I think you are in with a chance of the Turner Prize.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Wow that's amazing, like some sort of unidentified fungus! I only ever use half a teaspoon of yeast. No idea what caused that to happen I'm afraid!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would suggestg too much water. :confused: Different flour :confused:

I have greatly reduced the amount of salt in my home made loaves cos it always seemed a lot, and vastly reduced the sugar too. I use one of the little packets of yeast each time for a 2lb loaf.

At the weekend I made a loaf with my emergency flour as I had run out of my usual brand and was awaiting a delivery from the mill - it turned out horrible. On Monday when the flour arrived my next loaf was bread heaven.

Try removing one tablespoon of water next time, or even two. Have a look at the dough whilst it's mixing and see if it's too wet and then add some more flour until it's more doughy.

I'm not an expert so this is just my own experience.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The pic needs to enter some competition and I am sure it deserves a prize. I would say too much salt and yeast I have never kept in fridge but amount seems right enough as mine is 1 teasp too in my panasonic. I think too little water not too much but not had one like that ever!
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • lister
    lister Posts: 239 Forumite
    Options
    Calephetos wrote:
    Water not warm enough? Too much salt? Not enough yeast? (asks for 1/2tsp which seems tiny, but it is the dried packet stuff). Yeast open since Wednesday in fridge with peg on it. Too much yeast?

The yeast is fine - it has risen perfectly well. Water temperature makes no difference with easy-blend yeasts - it is only important with fresh or traditional dried yeast (and even if you had used those, your bread has risen, so the yeast has worked).

Looks to me like it is badly mixed. I can't think of any other reason to get such an inhomogenous appearance. I don't use breadmakers though, so have no idea how to check what is going on - perhaps either mixing or kneading has been insufficient in some way (although it has held the rise, which suggests that some kneading at least has taken place).

EDIT: In fact, looking again, I can see what seem to be swirls and patterns in the dough, which suggests to me that some parts of the dough must have had a very different texture to others - which would support the idea of it being badly mixed.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Calephetos wrote:
    badbread.jpg

*sob*

I found some 'bread machine flour' going cheap the other day, so thought I'd dust off my Hinari Homebaker and give it a try. First loaf - perfection. Pure perfection. Tasty, too. White, soft, crusty and while not long-lasting, has done us for sarnies.

Second loaf - see above. Same flour, same ingredients AFAIK, but instead of a nice loaf, I got a whorled-up thing that tasted damp and claggy and rather salty (I did use the requisite 3tsp salt for once, though) with a hint of doughnut about the edges.

Can any bm expert out there pinpoint what I may have left out/screwed up to get this effect? Please?

Are you sure there is no kefir in your bread maker ? Mind you I bet if you varnished it with that stuff that does what it says on the tin you could re-use it as a door-stop.:rotfl:
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would think too much salt.

For a 2lb loaf I only use between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp, 1 1/2 tsp sugar and just over 1 tsp of Allinsons Quick dried yeast (orange tin). I always add some vitamin C - more if I'm using any wholewheat flour rather than just white and they rise well (I still get loaves which don't rise as well but I've found out it's down to the flour as opposed to anything else)

Feed the ducks and try again :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport