PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

breadmaker disasters

Help

another disaster...

any tips, anyone??!!

th_bread.jpg

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Too much liquid?.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Oh that's what happens to every one I've made! I've given up though and now only use my rubbish BM to make the dough and then bake in the oven. One day I'll buy a decent one.

I've tried many variations of recipes so would love to know if there's an obvious answer. Sorry, I'm no help to you OP!
    :smileyhea
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    We find that the easiest way to measure the liquid is to use an electronic digital kitchen scales.

1 Gram = 1m/ltr
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought a breadmaker from Asda but no-one would eat the results, not even me (out of priciple!) or the dog (who eats.... well you know what dogs eat.. :eek: ). I took it back and got my money back, told them it didn't work properly (ie make bread that's edible!). Probably the cheaper ones are all like that, I haven't read all the threads about them though.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jolaaled wrote:
    Help

another disaster...

any tips, anyone??!!

th_bread.jpg

I'm gonna try with less liquid next time. I spose i could put something deliciously groovy in the sunken recess and say it's some sort of new cuisine!
  • nuttyrockeress
    nuttyrockeress Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Which BM do you use? I know to steer well clear then of purchasing that model - lol
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    try less yeast. When I started using fresh yeast I guessed at 1/2 oz for a loaf and it looked just like that. Ive now reduced it to 1/6 of an ounce and they come out perfect.My instructions say 1 and 1/3rd teaspoon of dried yeast and that usually works well too.
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Which BM do you use? I know to steer well clear then of purchasing that model - lol

Only a cheap one..by Goodmans. I swapped 2 cushions with my neighbour for it!!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    I used my BM yesterday for the first time in years to actually make a loaf. Before I have just used it to make an Algerian dough which has to be kneaded for ages.
    My loaf was dense and doughy. I followed the recipe to the letter, but you couldn't even slice it for toast. I did put tin foil round it and put it in the oven for another 20 min or so, but it is still inedible, (though i see that dh has tried to have some for his breakfast today before work!!).
    My biggest problem is that, because I am so used to baking by hand, it was impossible for me to get the 'feel' of the bread IYKWIM.
    I would love to use my BM, but don't want to waste the electric and the ingredients making more doughy disasters. I was trying to make a granary loaf.
    This is the recipe I used if anyone can see where I went wrong.
    8oz wholegrain flour
    8oz strong white flour
    1/2 tsp yeast
    1oz butter
    1/2 tsp yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    3/4 pint water
    1/2 crushed vit C tablet.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    Help

another disaster...

any tips, anyone??!!

th_bread.jpg

Inefficient prooving?
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure