PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning a used breadmaker?

I have just been given a breadmaker through freecycle and it needs a good clean first. Apparently it has been in the owners cupboard for a few years.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should go about cleaning this breadmaker so I can begin to cook lovely fresh bread?

Peppa
x

Comments

• fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would use good ole hot water with just a wee bit of mild washing up liquid to clean the removable "baking tin". Don't use abrasives/scouring pads incase you scratch the lining.

Just run a damp/warm cloth over the actual machine.

Should do the trick.

Oh and if you are careful, use a hoover attachment to collect the stour that has gathered before you wash it.

fluffynit
  • An old toothbrush works wonders at scrubbing around the area where the blades attach. I always find dough gets caught here, and a toothbrush can get into the "nooks and crannies" and is gentle enough to remove it without causing any scratching to the pan.
    "Then, when every last cent
    Of their money was spent,
    The Fix-it-Up Chappie packed up
    And he went."

Dr Seuss
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I always swear by vinegar and bicarb for greasy/dusty/dirty things in my kitchen. Give it a scrub with that (it will fizz up and removes all sorts very easily), then rinse well with hot water and it will prob come up a treat.
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I use a cocktail stick to get baked-on dough out from around the paddle and out of the hole in the paddle. I wet it first so it doesn't scratch.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • Hi all,

I have been wanting a breadmaker for ages but haven't been able to afford one and none have been offered on freecycle so I was so pleased when i managed to buy one for £4 from my local church fair at the weekend. It actually looks like it hasn't been used much, but I obviously need to give it a good clean but am unsure what to clean it with as I don't want the bread to taste of cleaning products. I saw a thread a long time ago about cleaning BM so if anyone can find the thread or just help me I would be grateful.

Thank you.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi i wanna save money!,

I have merged your thread with the original 'how to clean a used breadmaker' thread.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport