PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dont send your 9 year old son to buy flour

In my wisdom (and to give DS a bit of responsibility - doh!) I asked my son to buy plain flour so I can make a malt loaf, yuck, for OH. However, he came back with wholemeal plain flour, instead of "plain" plain flour. He was delighted with himself, and I couldnt burst his bubble.

So,my question is; can I use the wholemeal flour in the breadmaker instead of bread flour? Have only done white bread up til now but am willing to experiment here. Or any other suggestions?
Threadhead

Comments

• Hi Threadhead

If you check the Mega Index (it's a sticky at the top of the OS board) there's a section on cooking. In that bit you will find a section on breadmakers which should provide the correct information on your flour types. I'm nearly sure that you can use wholemeal plain with no problems, but I don't want to commit myself as I'm not a bread expert!!

Hopefully someone more qualified on bread will come along and answer your questions ;)
  • Well I'd give your son a pat on the back. I don't know why anyone ever buys white flour. Not had it in the house certainly for the last 25yrs. However it depends on whether the wholemeal flour "strong" breadmaking flour or not. If it's just plain wholemeal you will have to use it up in pastry, cakes, crumbles and not breadmaking recipes.
    You'll find the health benefits of only eating wholegrainsWheat: description WHF HERE

There is a recipe here for half wholewheat Malt loaf so I think you would probably get away with splitting the flour in half and use half white and half wholemeal and that will probably be fine. Hopefully it will help to put on the path of healthier eating.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use regular wholemeal flour in my bread maker, just use half wholemeal & half white. It won't rise quite as much but the taste & texture is fine, if you are worried about the rising thing add a crushed vitamin c tablet to encourage the yeast (I don't bother).
    But why not use the wholemeal flour as originally intended in the meat loaf? I use it for just about everything!

HTH;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use wm flour in my BM too. Though if used on its own the bread can be heavy, I tend to doa half and half mix with white.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • Well I'd give your son a pat on the back. I don't know why anyone ever buys white flour. Not had it in the house certainly for the last 25yrs. ......... Hopefully it will help to put on the path of healthier eating.

Thanks so much for these words. I wasnt "looking on the bright side" of this, and your words have changed my view. :)
    Threadhead
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always use a 75:25 mix of wholemeal/white flour for malt loaves in my BM and they come out perfectly fine, and IMO, taste much better as well as being healthier ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• CharleneUK
    CharleneUK Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    LOL.

I sent my 9 year old daughter to buy a tin of sweetcorn and she came back with a tin of chickpeas!

Good luck with the loaf.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"
  • All these 50:50 stories are making me wish we hadn't used the last of the plain white to make salt dough chrissy decorations this afternoon. ...... Actually, cancel that - we had a lovely time! :xmassign:
    Threadhead
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Lillibet wrote:
    I use regular wholemeal flour in my bread maker, just use half wholemeal & half white. It won't rise quite as much but the taste & texture is fine, if you are worried about the rising thing add a crushed vitamin c tablet to encourage the yeast (I don't bother).
    But why not use the wholemeal flour as originally intended in the meat loaf? I use it for just about everything!

HTH;)

you can put a bit of orange juice in instead of the vitamin c tablet

can you use citric acid as an alternative too? easily had from asian shops
    cheap too

i find when i use wholemeal flour that i need to add more water than usual. i add just a touch more then stand buy when it's rolling the dough into a ball and add a little bit until it is just right
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • Just wanted to add that I have used 50:50 mixes in the breadmaker this week, and the kids cant get ENOUGH of it!!! Also used 25:75 in a malt loaf (didnt feel brave enough for 50:50 LOL) and that went down a treat too.

Just goes to show that little mistakes can be successful! And I dont know how many times I've told my son what a great thing it was that he bought the "wrong" flour!
    Threadhead
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport