PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread flour vs ordinary plain flour?

What's the difference?

I know you are supposed to use strong flour for bread but just wondered if anyone knew what the difference was? :confused:
Anna :beer:

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There is more gluten and protein in strong flour which is needed for bread, but not cakes.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Plain flour works just fine in my breadmaker. I only use strong for special occasions.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    math that is really helpful , so could i just use plain flour instead of strong in the bread maker then , as plain flour is so much more cheaper than strong.
  • OH always uses plain flour when doing the pizza dough in the BM...turns out a treat!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I made a loaf today using tesco value plain flour, and it's fine. I only get strong flour if it's reduced in price;)

btw if you get a pack of ciabatta dough mix use it as a pizza base - it's fantastic!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    jcr16 wrote:
    math that is really helpful , so could i just use plain flour instead of strong in the bread maker then , as plain flour is so much more cheaper than strong.

so do you think it is the quality of the yeast that makes the difference?

I'm tempted to try a plain loaf overnight now....
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I follow the recipe in my breadbook to the letter of the law but replace strong with plain. I use Tesco economy plain which is about 24p a bag much cheaper than buying strong flour and I've never had a loaf fail yet. I think Delia once said HM bread made with plain flour will surpass shop bought anyday.
    Give it a go
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • If you hand make bread I'd use strong flour or it won't rise, as the dough is not stretchy enough. That's what the higher gluten content does. Lidl sell strong flour at 48p a bag. OK it's more expensive than plain but nothing like the major brands.

Asda give fresh yeast for free if you call at their bakery department. Our local store seems to give hand it out in about 4oz slabs (if not more). A loaf uses about half an oz so you can wrap up any spare and keep it in the fridge for 1+ weeks or freeze it.
    Nice to save.
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    maybe a little off topic but i feel like i am missing out on all the cheap shops. we don't have an asda , lidl , wilkinsons , savers. we have tesco , morrisons and somerfield.

but i certainly am going to shop around alot more. and when i do go to the mainland i am gonna hunt down a lidl and asda.

morrisons sell fresh yeast for about 20p. but not sure if i can use fresh in bread maker . any ideas ?
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    ..........puts flour mill hat back on.

Many moons ago when I worked in a flour mill, strong flour was made from wheat with imported American or Canadian wheat in the grist.

UK wheat was not quite as high in protein or other properties.

Wheat and flour is tested for protein, moisture, colour and lots of other properties before it leaves the flour mill.

The strength of the flour was physically tested in the lab. Flour was mixed into a dough and it was tested in an extensometer (if I remember correctly) which stretched the dough to breaking point.

There are different varieties of wheat, which produce different grades of flour.

I believe that our flour doesn't contain American or Canadian wheat nowadays and as a result our diet can be lacking in selenium.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure