Problems with a colleague

Options
We recruited a new member of staff nine months ago. She is ok at her job.

I have worked in my current role for 12 years and am now a valued member of staff due to my technical ability. We have had problems with this member of staff because of her attitude. She is rude and disruptive to everyone. I am fed up of the number of complaints I am receiving from colleagues and customers. I am not her line manager.

I find her difficult to work with and I work the most with her (in comparison to everyone else within the department). In deed many of my colleagues have said that they avoid her altogether (lucky them!). I spoke to my line manager (head of department) about this yesterday in my 121 and he said he will put her on report because he has also had complaints from many colleagues and customers.

I believe this will happen within the next few weeks. Is there anything I need to do to "prepare" for this, bearing in mind that I work directly with this person. I have never been in this situation before and hence the reason for the question.

I am a member of a trade union (for many years) if that makes any difference. Should I contact them? I would be very grateful to hear from others who were in my situation at some point.

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're lucky if this is the first time you have encountered an individual of this type. The unhelpful answer is that there's nothing much you can do to 'prepare' - with even luck she might decide to move on, or the company will help her on her way. If she doesn't/they don't, your options are to grow a thicker skin, or to move on yourself (unfair, but if you can't cope with this sort of tiresome person, there aren't any realistic alternatives).
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds like you are not this persons superior so I think you have done the right thing by raising a grievance with your manager.

I would not do anything else now as it is your managers responsibility to deal with this.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    I would be interested to know what she has been doing/saying to be fair...

Only because sometimes it is challenging to join an established team (12 years) if you aren't a complete personality fit. It can, on occasion, give rise to unfair treatment by the existing staff when they give them the "cold shoulder" etc. This can, in turn, exasperate the initial issue and give rise to a situation where the employee is "managed out" but framed to look like it was THEIR fault because they are getting frustrated. That's all despite them being "ok at her job" (you might be biased and lowered that assessment accordingly, so there's every chance she's BETTER than ok).

If your manager is decent, and if there isn't a gross misconduct issue/fundamental loss of trust knocking around, then the employee should be given the opportunity to address the behaviours that are not acceptable. And you should keep your mind open and be willing to build bridges if said employee takes them up on the offer. Aside from that, wait patiently for them to be managed out.

I would also be hopeful that THEY were a union member and contacted them. Mainly to ensure that the correct processes are followed and that they have representation.

Whilst you may have a clear picture in your head about what you want, the reality is that this is someone's livelihood we are talking about.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    On report? Sounds like been back at school.
  • panika
    panika Posts: 149 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2019 at 10:26AM
    Options
    I completely agree with Les79. So far we have heard your part of the story and we don't know what's your colleague is doing to upset everyone around. It is really up to your manager note.
    I am surprised he decided to "put her up on report" (whatever it means). I think a chat with her about this situation would be correct action to explain what behaviour are not acceptable and to hear her side of the story.
    I know for myself, that coming to work into "well establish group" can be hard to fit into, because people are used to do/work certain ways and it is hard to accept that someone new work a bit different, but still right way or has different personality then the rest of the team and that is seen as wrongdoing.
  • haras_nosirrah
    haras_nosirrah Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Options
    Is there the potential to be any kind of social communication disorder E. G aspergers with this member of staff?

Hands up I am an aspie. It makes me very good at my job in that I am very passionate about my job and therefore am very focused on it. Where is struggle is change as if things don't make sense to me then I struggle to do it and social communication with others in that I don't read people very well. I have what some may call 'foot in mouth' so occasionally say things where I accidentally upset people (with no malice on my part)
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    edited 9 June 2019 at 9:43PM
    Options
    panika wrote: »
    I completely agree with Les79. So far we have heard your part of the story and we don't know what's your colleague is doing to upset everyone around. It is really up to your manager note.
    I am surprised he decided to "put her up on report" (whatever it means). I think a chat with her about this situation would be correct action to explain what behaviour are not acceptable and to hear her side of the story.
    I know for myself, that coming to work into "well establish group" can be hard to fit into, because people are used to do/work certain ways and it is hard to accept that someone new work a bit different, but still right way or has different personality then the rest of the team and that is seen as wrongdoing.

I completely agree with this. When I started the group was quite established at the time and I know it can be challenging to fit in and become a valued member. I have really tried with this member of staff and have passed a lot of knowledge onto her. I get on with her the best, however it really is hard work.

However, this person swears; slams her hand on the table when talking to people; shouts; ignores people and is rude to customers. She has alienated a lot of people within the department who we have to work closely with. I find myself having to apologise for her otherwise we will lose the support of our colleagues. She is ok (average) at her job, however there is always a tense atmosphere when she is around as we are all treading on egg shells.

She was spoken to twice in the past by the head of department after complaints from customers and other members of staff (not by me). However, things have not changed - in fact they have got worse.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    We recruited a new member of staff nine months ago. She is ok at her job.

I have worked in my current role for 12 years and am now a valued member of staff due to my technical ability. We have had problems with this member of staff because of her attitude. She is rude and disruptive to everyone. I am fed up of the number of complaints I am receiving from colleagues and customers. I am not her line manager.

I find her difficult to work with and I work the most with her (in comparison to everyone else within the department). In deed many of my colleagues have said that they avoid her altogether (lucky them!). I spoke to my line manager (head of department) about this yesterday in my 121 and he said he will put her on report because he has also had complaints from many colleagues and customers.

I believe this will happen within the next few weeks. Is there anything I need to do to "prepare" for this, bearing in mind that I work directly with this person. I have never been in this situation before and hence the reason for the question.

I am a member of a trade union (for many years) if that makes any difference. Should I contact them? I would be very grateful to hear from others who were in my situation at some point.

Read: When I Say No, I feel Guilty.

Brilliant advice on being assertive and standing your ground in the workplace.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the situation is as you describe it, why is management doing so little? Is this colleague likely to complain of discrimination if she is sacked (always assuming she fits in to one of the categories which would meet the unlawful discrimination category and thus wouldn't need two years of employment).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    She is rude and disruptive to everyone. I am fed up of the number of complaints I am receiving from colleagues and customers. I am not her line manager.

Refer everyone to her boss.

As soon as anyone starts a moan refer them with no apologies or anything just cut them of with "you will have to talk to X to deal with that issue"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure