Why would anyone cycle to work?

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Fewer children cycle these days. My Dad took me out cycling to teach me the ways of the road, and we had cycle training at school. When everyone cycled as a child and teenager, it gave them the freedom to go further afield independently and taught them valuable road-user skills so that when they did learn to drive, they could still understand the needs of cyclists.

Now we have death-wish cyclists who've never had cycle training at school (I know it's available in some places, but they didn't enrol) or from their parents and drivers who've never cycled, plus pedestrians glued to their mobiles and stressed delivery drivers with impossible schedules to adhere to. Not a happy mix.

Some very good points here. Big mistake over many years/decades to not invest more in cycle infrastructure. Its not as if we haven't always known that getting more people cycling was beneficial.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    brat wrote: »
    If you can cycle to work you’d be daft not to!

Anyone can cycle to work? Whether you can cycle to work safely is a different matter.

Finally it happened today. A vehicle in front SMIDSY'd a young male cyclist (cycling perfectly safely in a cycle lane) as I travelled through Burnage/Longsight area in Manchester. Luckily, the cyclist had lightning reactions and turned his wheel slightly so he only caught the front wing of the car and bounced off slightly, instead of going head first over the car.

Although the drivers initial reaction was to ask if the cyclist was okay, he proceeded to accuse the cyclist of "undertaking him". Can you even undertake on a bike? Isn't this a term for cars on the motorway?

Luckily the cyclist was able to cycle away and there didn't look like any real damage to either the car or his bike, but my word..... I've been expecting this for the past 3 weeks and it's no surprise it's finally happened.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I cycle to work as we only have one car, and the wife needs it more than i do!

Nice leisurely 9 miles each way,
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Stoke wrote: »
    Anyone can cycle to work? Whether you can cycle to work safely is a different matter.

Finally it happened today. A vehicle in front SMIDSY'd a young male cyclist (cycling perfectly safely in a cycle lane) as I travelled through Burnage/Longsight area in Manchester. Luckily, the cyclist had lightning reactions and turned his wheel slightly so he only caught the front wing of the car and bounced off slightly, instead of going head first over the car.

Although the drivers initial reaction was to ask if the cyclist was okay, he proceeded to accuse the cyclist of "undertaking him". Can you even undertake on a bike? Isn't this a term for cars on the motorway?

Luckily the cyclist was able to cycle away and there didn't look like any real damage to either the car or his bike, but my word..... I've been expecting this for the past 3 weeks and it's no surprise it's finally happened.

I'll take statistics over anecdote any day of the week...
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    So far in around a million miles of cycling in a lifetime from the age of 6 to 66 , only one car has knocked me off and that was in Switzerland when a car clipped my bulky pannier slightly in the busy centre of Geneva .Touch wood, no other impact from a motor car so far, but thousands of very close shaves and they seem to be getting closer and closer in an obvious attempt at intimidation.
  • brat
    320 miles a week, every week for 60 years.

Impressive...
  • brat wrote: »
    320 miles a week, every week for 60 years.

Impressive...

It's only 45 miles a day for 21,900 consecutive days - what's wrong with you?? :D
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:59AM
    brat wrote: »
    I'll take statistics over anecdote any day of the week...

And I wouldn't expect it any other way. I think some places are easier to cycle than others. I've not seen this kind of problem elsewhere, but where I'm driving at the moment is lethal. That said, I saw the exact opposite today, cyclist with no helmet, taking risks going through red lights and at one point cycling down the centre of the road between two lanes of traffic (despite there being a cycle lane on the left)
  • brat
    So, what cycling stats can you draw on from your area. How many cycling KSIs in Manchester each year? Do the stats back up your anecdotal experiences?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure