Yorkshire & Clydesdale Banks offering £150 for switching

Comments

• MRMX9
    MRMX9 Posts: 86 Forumite
    In terms of the account you need to ‘switch from’ to qualify does anyone know if a basic bank account would qualify.

I have an old Halifax basic bank account with a visa electron card – opened in the days when this card saved you money when buying flights with easyjet and Ryanair etc. Never use this now – so I might as well close it.

I assume this wouldn’t qualify – but no harm in asking I suppose!
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    colsten wrote: »
    It's exactly the process that any serious customer would follow.

How many of us are a 'serious customer' here in switching their main bank account? A minority?

My comment was relating to the whole process; from account opening to the final switch date and everything in between.

Seems like it's going to be a long process.

:)
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, basic bank accounts like the Easycash are eligible as they classed as current accounts.

Unusually, they are offering the £150 to switch to any account in their range including their basic (Readycash) account.
    MRMX9 wrote: »
    In terms of the account you need to ‘switch from’ to qualify does anyone know if a basic bank account would qualify.

I have an old Halifax basic bank account with a visa electron card – opened in the days when this card saved you money when buying flights with easyjet and Ryanair etc. Never use this now – so I might as well close it.

I assume this wouldn’t qualify – but no harm in asking I suppose!
  • MRMX9
    MRMX9 Posts: 86 Forumite
    karlie88 wrote: »
    How many of us are a 'serious customer' here in switching their main bank account? A minority?

My comment was relating to the whole process; from account opening to the final switch date and everything in between.

Seems like it's going to be a long process.

:)

Well I am about to start on this process too - partly because I am planning to open an isa with them as well so would like online access to view balances etc.

As the song goes - 'Its a long way to Piccadilly'.

That being the only branch Clydesdale and the Yorkshire have in the whole of London and the south east!:D
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    karlie88 wrote: »

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. It's bonus tarts in the main on here because there's many smart people on here. To expect special treatment (as in: fast application processing) because you don't actually need a debit card and a PIN or a cheque book isn't very smart though. You have to play the system as the system won't change for you.
  • colsten
    This offer looks like a calculated investment by National Australia Group (NAG) to make YB/CB look a bit more attractive to potential buyers by showing lots of new customers in the last x months. Like you'd quickly paint your walls and put some new flooring in if you were looking for a quick sale of your house (not implying that any of the readers' houses are like YB/CB, or have any shortfalls).

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/business-news/nab-set-to-sell-off-yorkshire-bank-1-6919597

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/oct/30/national-australia-bank-sale-yorkshire-clydesdale

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29828199

It's great news to us bonus tarts, thanks NAG :cool:
  • starM
    starM Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Hi,

Will ring them tomorrow to go through application process.

Quick question - do they provide immediate decision over the phone?

It looks the £150 also available on Readycash account. 1st time I have seen banks making this available on Basic accounts.
  • Am I right in thinking that I would not receive £150 for switching?

I have a current account direct with YB and have to pay in £1000 per month in order to receive 4% interest on my balance and have been doing so for longer than 6 months.

Am I permitted to open a 2nd account with YB or a new one with CB to receive the switching bonus or will I have to sit this one out? I've read (and re-read) the T&Cs and think I am not eligible for the bonus but was wondering if any other 4% account holder will be attempting to switch?
  • colsten
    sophia1989 wrote: »
    I've read (and re-read) the T&Cs and think I am not eligible for the bonus

You are quite right, given your existing relationship with YB you are not eligible for this offer.
  • colsten wrote: »
    You are quite right, given your existing relationship with YB you are not eligible for this offer.

That's a shame but it's the answer I was expecting. Oh well. Thanks for the prompt reply. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure