Car insurer increases premiums - incident no blame or claim

I have just been advised of an increase in premiums due to an incident a couple of days prior to my renewal. Basic facts:
  • I was stationary at a junction and was hit in the rear
  • There was no damage to my car .. not so the 3rd party driver who submitted a claim
  • Third party insurer admitted liability of their customer
  • There was no injuries to any party .. v. low speed impact
I reported this as an incident to my insurer (as required under the policy) who advised that there would be no claim or blame attached to my record. So why the increase in premium? Sounds like a scam. Will be calling them in the morning, but if I do not get resolution, is there an insurance ombudsman or similar that I can contact as I do not feel this is fair or equitable.

Comments

• alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Insurance is all about statistics and as such , based on everybody's statistics , you are now consider to be at a higher risk of having another accident/incident.
    You are wasting your time if you think that you can 'fight' this....it is perfectly normal.
    Try somes quotes with other insurers to find out how other insurers view you now having this incident on your records.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    it's life, the fact is you are statistically more likely to have an accident as you have had one.

No fault accidents may also attract premium loading, shop around, some don't

Bare in mind for future readers, no fault accidents become fault accidents if your insurer cannot recover costs e.g 3rd party if not insured e.t.c. It is not just about who is 'at fault' but also about costs recovered
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • tamste
    tamste Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Very disappointing if they take this approach, but not sure where the remedy is.

I have been 12 years with no incidents, most of the time with the same insurer (I do check the market yearly and negotiate down to same price). So after 12 years incident free motoring, on a clean licence throughout,I am considered higher risk and thus am charged more following being hit from behind by a third party when I was stationary, to which there was no damage to my vehicle and no claim, and the third party admits liability!

Will discuss with them later this morning, but something is not right here.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 10:09AM
    tamste wrote: »
    Very disappointing if they take this approach, but not sure where the remedy is.

There isn't one.
    I have been 12 years with no incidents, most of the time with the same insurer (I do check the market yearly and negotiate down to same price). So after 12 years incident free motoring, on a clean licence throughout,I am considered higher risk and thus am charged more following being hit from behind by a third party when I was stationary, to which there was no damage to my vehicle and no claim, and the third party admits liability!

The first part of your statement is partly relevant and you still benefit from this in that you have build up NCD, which you will maintain.

As for the second part, yes you are considered to be higher risk because you have been involved in a collision. Underwriting is not about 'fair' it is, in the main, about risk assessment based on statistics and statistics show that those that have been involved in a collision are more likely to be involved in another one. Therefore this incident has placed you in a higher risk group. Not necessarily a high risk group but a higher group than you were previously.
    Will discuss with them later this morning, but something is not right here.

There is nothing wrong here from an underwriting viewpoint. If you call and haggle you may get a few quid off as a goodwill gesture but the chances are slim. It is naive to think that your insurance will not impacted just because you are not found to be at fault in an accident.
  • tamste
    tamste Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2019 at 10:41AM
    I understand what you say, but the calculation of risk is dependent on the algorithm constructed, and the data that the algorithm assesses. As had been quoted elsewhere, there are statistics, statistics and damn lies.

Unfortunately I am dealing with an industry where risk assessment is centred on profit & loss, which is very different from my industry where not effectively determining risk and taking appropriate remedial action can have a life or death (or at least significant harm) impact.

Thanks for the responses by the way. It's not just me then!

I recall having insurance companies described to me in the past as bookies in suits. Seems there may be merit in this.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The is some merit in that statement. There are areas where insurance is still conducted as it was a hundred years ago. There are still underwriters sitting in Lloyds with a queue of brokers waiting to see them with the 'risk' (policy) that they need to cover written on paper. The underwriter then considers the risk, decides on whether he will take all or part of it and what the premium will be. This is then written onto the documents and sealed with the underwriters stamp. Not unlike being in a bookmaker and it's going on right now.

And yes, insurance companies are there to make a profit, as are all companies. However, that market can also work in your favour. Check the competition and you may well get a better price than you current insurers are offering.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    The point is they can't have different rules for different people so they have found that using statistics is the most efficient and 'relatively' accurate way to insure the masses without extra costs .
    Just think , if they tailored everybodies insurance to fit each person the admin costs would push everybodies premiums up.
    By ringing them to complain about it just shows them how niave you are.
    I wouldn't demean myself
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I understand what you say, but the calculation of risk is dependent on the algorithm constructed, and the data that the algorithm assesses. As had been quoted elsewhere, there are statistics, statistics and damn lies.

Unfortunately I am dealing with an industry where risk assessment is centred on profit & loss, which is very different from my industry where not effectively determining risk and taking appropriate remedial action can have a life or death (or at least significant harm) impact.

Thanks for the responses by the way. It's not just me then!

I recall having insurance companies described to me in the past as bookies in suits. Seems there may be merit in this.

Nothing personal but business I am afraid, loyalty doesn't pay, change to a provider that provides value for money and is reasonable for service. Other providers may not have the same risk algorithms.

I've had non fault accidents and some insurers don't load premiums compared to others
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 14 October 2019 at 11:54AM
    It must vary by insurer (mines the AA).

I had a no fault claim (neighbour reversed in to my parked car, which they confessed to). Um and ahhed about going through insurance, but did so in the end, first claim for 20 years. Was prepared for an increase in my renewal but there hardly any difference from last year , (after I'd done the usual haggling on the renewal which I do every year). It went through a credit hire company as there was no dispute to liablilty , so don't know if that make any difference - as the claim is all with the other parties insurer. Again heard horror stories about credit hire, but it worked out ok, with no cost to me.
  • Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My wife was side swiped by a Hungarian lorry while stationary in roadworks, the day before renewal was due. I called to report the accident (as the green card was out of date!!) and the premium immediately increased by £60. Next day after ringing around and finding out the lorry was insured and liability admitted, I was able to put my insurer against another and my £60 increase ended up only being £15. Still a bit peeved though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure