0% has run out but cant get a new card

ok, so i totally forgot to check when my 0% ran out and as it happened near enough the day i check was when it did.
So as you do, i immediately logged onto this site, did a few comparisons, applied for a few cards, got a couple of knockbacks (changed bank and address fairly recently) and a an acceptance, the problem is the acceptance required me to go to a branch (halifax) and prove address and photo id, which i didn't do immediately and then with life....forgot. it has now gone past the 14 days they allow and so i thought i'd apply for a different card.......but they don't like you applying for more than one card and it would seem that even the 'bad credit' cards are even rejecting me now!
now to make this a bit clearer, i'm earn a very decent wage, i own a house and until recently had been with the same bank for 28 years.
now i'm like a credit lepper and it can only get worse as essentially all i'm paying on my cards that i wanted to balance transfer is the interest

does anyone have any ideas what i can do, as i seem to be screwed!

Comments

• oh and when i did a credit check on this site (via experium) it can back as second highest...but still can't get a card :(
  • How many full applications have you made?
    How much is your outstanding balance?

It seems your only option is to cut back on your expenses and throw every available penny toward paying down the credit card debt, so that you don't end up paying out lots of money in interest payments.

And welcome to the forum :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • hi, thanks for the response.

I think about 4, as i basically tried for the best offer and then downgraded as they said they were for those with bad credit, so gave them a try
    in total it's about 6k, so can't see me paying that off any time soon

guess it's as i thought, i'm screwed
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The three usual methods of dealing with debt are to refinance it to minimise costs, or to earn more or spend less, so, as the first of these is seemingly no longer an option for you, you're realistically left with the other two.

It's not clear why you'd have difficulty making inroads into a debt while earning "a very decent wage", but you might wish to consider sharing more details on the debt-free wannabe board, where posters will offer non-judgemental advice if you put up a statement of affairs breaking down income and expenditure....
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Credit card companies have rules to follow with regards to those in persitant debt. Rolling over from card to card is getting increasingly harder as a result. Perhaps time to knuckle down and tackle the issue head on.
  • I agree with Thrugelmir. I am not sure how many times you have balance transferred but the warnings were there from more than a year ago that deals are becoming shorter and harder to get hold of. If you are only just covering interest and not repaying the cards then you need to up the payments. If you have a decent salary that should be easily possible unless you are over committed debt wise or are overspending in other areas.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Forgive me if I come across a bit blunt, this is a stoozing forum, not a general 0% credit card finance forum. If you're stoozing properly you should be able to just pay the CC balance off immediately from the savings.

At the current rate of savings interest, just 1 month CC interest could wipe a big chunk of your stoozing earings.

Do this immediately as you're getting interest every day now, and it is chipping away at your earnings.

If you can't clear it why not?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Is it possible to reactivate the Halifax application, which sounds as if it would have been successful until missing the branch visit?
  • I agree with Thrugelmir. I am not sure how many times you have balance transferred but the warnings were there from more than a year ago that deals are becoming shorter and harder to get hold of. If you are only just covering interest and not repaying the cards then you need to up the payments. If you have a decent salary that should be easily possible unless you are over committed debt wise or are overspending in other areas.

Whats the big deal with this? is it brexit related? banks limiting their exposure and withdrawing the offers?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    skatersrus wrote: »
    Whats the big deal with this? is it brexit related? banks limiting their exposure and withdrawing the offers?

Just providing some background explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure