How to find out best tariff for charging electric car ovrnight

KGUK
KGUK Posts: 6 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I am about to buy an electric car. I plan to charge the car overnight on my driveway. I am trying to find out if I can save money by switching to another energy supplier (or tariff with my current supplier) but I can't find a comparison site, including MSE energy club, that allows me to check my new pattern of usage. Does anyone know of a way I can do this?

Comments

• Umiamz
    Umiamz Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have a look at Octopus and their Agile or Go tariff. Both have cheap electricity overnight (and during the day between around 10:00 and 16:00 on Agile). You need a smart meter for both tariffs. I don't think there's anything cheaper at the moment for EV charging at home.

I'm on Agile and have been charging for as little as 1-2p/kWh overnight recently.
  • KGUK wrote: »
    I am about to buy an electric car. I plan to charge the car overnight on my driveway. I am trying to find out if I can save money by switching to another energy supplier (or tariff with my current supplier) but I can't find a comparison site, including MSE energy club, that allows me to check my new pattern of usage. Does anyone know of a way I can do this?

Why are you finding it impossible to use a comparison site to find the best deal for you? :huh:

If you are struggling with online access, most comparison sites offer a telephone helpline.
  • BG will have EV tariffs out this next year, they expect to fit 200k EV charging points in 2020
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are a few suppliers offering their own custom EV tariffs but you're probably best getting an Economy 7 smart meter (if you've not already got one) and sticking with an Economy 7 tariff if you want the flexibility to shop around and switch suppliers from time to time.

The Citizens advice energy comparison service let's you select between single rate andEconomy 7 tariff types to make a comparison:

https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jonesya wrote: »
    There are a few suppliers offering their own custom EV tariffs but you're probably best getting an Economy 7 smart meter (if you've not already got one) and sticking with an Economy 7 tariff if you want the flexibility to shop around and switch suppliers from time to time.

The Citizens advice energy comparison service let's you select between single rate andEconomy 7 tariff types to make a comparison:

https://energycompare.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Some years ago I tried to change to the economy 7 tariff but was informed by my supplier that this was only available with night storage heaters, has this now changed ?
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nickcc wrote: »
    Some years ago I tried to change to the economy 7 tariff but was informed by my supplier that this was only available with night storage heaters, has this now changed ?

No you don't need night storage heaters but you do need an Economy 7 meter which has the separate day and night registers, either the old traditional meters, or a smart meter which has been set up and installed as an Economy 7 meter.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jonesya wrote: »
    No you don't need night storage heaters but you do need an Economy 7 meter which has the separate day and night registers, either the old traditional meters, or a smart meter which has been set up and installed as an Economy 7 meter.

We were on economy 7 but had had a new pole and supply so the meter was changed to standard tariff, the only way we could have had a new economy 7 meter was to have the night storage heaters re installed rather than the LPG central heating we had fitted in place of the old inefficient storage heaters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure