MSE Poll: Do you have a joint bank account with your partner?

2»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Were both in our 60s, been together for 23 years.

Totally separate finances. Our income is from state plus works pensions and we take it in turn to buy shopping etc. He pays the regular bills, I pay the housing costs, it evens itself out.

My first husband and I always had separate accounts as well.

Maybe it’s a “me” thing.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    We have a main joint account for bills, but then everything else is in the best place for earning interest. As far as we're concerned it's all joint money...there is no mine v. yours.

90% of spending goes on CC, paid off in full each month, except my stoozed balances.

It works for us, but then we're on the same page financially, with a common goal.

We don't do surprise presents!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • boomer69
    boomer69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    We have two joint accounts, one is for the wife, she pays her own mobile bill (£1.66/month) and gives a regular amount to a charity, the rest is for frittering.
    I have a TSB account for a bit of interest, and it pays a few DDs, then my joint account covers the majority of DDs SOs etc.
    The wife has never paid a bill and has no interest in our finances, our son has agreed to organize her finances if/when I snuff it.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You are not really using them as joint accounts though
  • boomer69
    boomer69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    You are not really using them as joint accounts though

We both have cards for both accounts and we both have cards for a joint credit card account, just that I do the admin, like she does the laundry.
    She knows where the bills go from and has online access, we also have a joint share dealing account, and individual ones too, she has never accessed those and has no idea what happens in them, she doesnt need/want to.
    But I'll humour you. We dont really have joint accounts, hope that works with HMRC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure