American Express Discussion Area

1767778798082»

Comments

• MrOrchard
    MrOrchard Posts: 207 Forumite
    Oh, one more question that the website can't answer (or I can't find the answer) how is it charged if I used it abroad?
  • MrOrchard wrote: »
    Oh, one more question that the website can't answer (or I can't find the answer) how is it charged if I used it abroad?

2.73%, but non-US dollar charges are converted into dollars first and then into sterling.

Also bear in mind if you use Paypal that they always used to (it may have changed) consider Paypal a US based merchant and therefore billed you in dollars.

Therefore you might have bought something on ebay in pounds, only to find it costing you more in dollars when they convert it into dollars and back to pounds. That may have changed, but could be worth checking out if you intend using Paypal.

The reason why I don't know if it has changed is because about three or four years ago I changed from Amex to Mastercard for Paypal payments for that very reason.
  • MrOrchard
    MrOrchard Posts: 207 Forumite
    2.73%, but non-US dollar charges are converted into dollars first and then into sterling.

Also bear in mind if you use Paypal that they always used to (it may have changed) consider Paypal a US based merchant and therefore billed you in dollars.

Therefore you might have bought something on ebay in pounds, only to find it costing you more in dollars when they convert it into dollars and back to pounds. That may have changed, but could be worth checking out if you intend using Paypal.

The reason why I don't know if it has changed is because about three or four years ago I changed from Amex to Mastercard for Paypal payments for that very reason.

Ok, my main non-GBP usage would be Euro, so I think I'll stick to Citibank for that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi all

Has anyone noticed that at last the Amex Platinum cashback card online screen now has a cash value and breakdown instead of that horrible complex points system that has raised so many questions.

Now you can see straight away how much you've earnt, it's a vast improvment :smiley:

Regards
    UNDERGROUND :D
  • emeraldbugle
    emeraldbugle Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all

Has anyone noticed that at last the Amex Platinum cashback card online screen now has a cash value and breakdown instead of that horrible complex points system that has raised so many questions.

Now you can see straight away how much you've earnt, it's a vast improvment :smiley:

Regards

That is so much easier!
  • aardvark65
    aardvark65 Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :confused:Sorry to be stupid but I've just reached my year anniversary with cashback and was wondering - HOW do you claim it?! Does it have to come off your balance or can you get it paid into your bank?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    aardvark65 wrote: »
    :confused:Sorry to be stupid but I've just reached my year anniversary with cashback and was wondering - HOW do you claim it?! Does it have to come off your balance or can you get it paid into your bank?

It gets credited to your account.

Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills