Discuss the free solar panel company: A Shade Greener

Comments

• If I bought my own system and was making £1000-£1300 per yr then It would pay for itself within say 10-15yrs.assuming the system cost of the system is 10-15k But i appreciate companies such as ASG wish to make a profit and they are fronting the money but Why do they take the money you would of had back if you had a FIT for 25yrs ??? and what happens to it after the 25yr period ????
    plus I was told by OVO Npowers choice supplier that the systems cost between £5000 - £6500 for my house which they reckoned was 20 square metres not the £18000 as stated earlier in this thread so with that in mind companies such as ASG would of made thier money back within aprox 6-7 yrs for the initial outlay so the other 18-19yrs they would make an absolute killing so in that case it would be better to buy a system.
  • Unfortunately ASG don't install panels in Scotland!(we do get sunshine you know)

Are there any similar companies who do fit in Scotland?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    There are loads of companies.

Visit www.energysavingtrust.org

However with prices of installations dropping fast, and an interest free loan available in Scotland, you should really consider buying a system.

You can buy for around £6,000
  • horne65
    horne65 Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2013 at 2:59PM
    I am now wondering if this company discriminates betweencouncil or owned properties? Do theyget better beneficial payment from the government if council properties aregiven panels over owned properties?

I live on a long straight road with my roof facing south, my neighbour lives three doors down on the same road. There are no trees, or obstructions and yet I cannot have my house fitted with solar panels as it, according to a shadegreener has partial shading issues.

On the other hand my neighbour who’s property is council and in exactly the same position has just been fitted.

Can anyone explain this one or is it yet another case of discrimination?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    horne65 wrote: »

A shade Greener are a commercial company who apparantly have no shortage of applicants, so are only interested in properties that have no issues at all, and hence they get the maximum return on their investment.

A council presumably can set less stringent conditions and will install panels even if the property has minor issues.
  • Ashadegreener_representative
    Ashadegreener_representative Posts: 23 Organisation Representative
    horne65 wrote: »
    I am now wondering if this company discriminates betweencouncil or owned properties? Do theyget better beneficial payment from the government if council properties aregiven panels over owned properties?

I live on a long straight road with my roof facing south, my neighbour lives three doors down on the same road. There are no trees, or obstructions and yet I cannot have my house fitted with solar panels as it, according to a shadegreener has partial shading issues.

On the other hand my neighbour who’s property is council and in exactly the same position has just been fitted.

Hi Everyone,

I am A Shade Greener's company rep on MSE, I am here only to ensure the correct information is available and not to advertise ASG or its products.

A Shade Greener do not discriminate between individuals due to personal circumstance, instead all decisions are made based on the suitability of the property. Unfortunately we are unable to install on council properties even if they are ideal for our solar panels.

Our income is tied solely to how much the panels generate and as such we can only install on properties that meet our criteria.

Shading is a major issue and even a little shading on one panel will drastically reduce the generation of every panel on the same string. This drop in generation will result in less income through the Feed-in-Tariff meaning such an install would not be financially viable for us.

If you have any further questions I am happy to answer them.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Ashadegreener. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • paulmapp8306
    paulmapp8306 Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Not happy with A shade greener in truth. Like all companies, there will be issues from time to time and I guess Im it.

I had my panels fitted back in Feb, and the actual panels and install is great as as the consultation and visits during the process.

The issue came with the fitters. While the actual install is fine, they had no respect for my house. The loft space was left in a state with roof insulation taken up for the fitting just left strewn around the house. They also damaged some lino in a UT room - they had to route a cable and move the fridge to get to the wall -however they didnt get help, and manhandled the ridge without taking the feet up - resulting in a rip in the lino. They actually left the fridge out for my wife - on her own - to put it back. Only when she asked if they were going to do it - did they do it.

Anyway - the damage was pointed out to the installer who took photos. I spoke to ASG a few days later - their customer services - who had no idea of the damage. I had to chase them over the next 2-3 weeks over what was happening - I had no contact initiated by them. I said 3-4 weeks to replace would be OK. Well were now on 7-8 and its still not done.

I sorted a replacement out myself and provided information in price, location etc to ASG. They agreed to replace the lino with what I had suggested. It took a month nearly, with Carpet Right sending two invoices by EMail, and my making two phone calls before there seemed to be any movement. I had a call 2 weeks ago saying it was all sorted, and payment made but Carpet right wouldnt install until payment had cleared - OK. Another 2 weeks - and a call from them asking if Carpet Right had been in contact - they hadnt so I went down. They had ordered the lino 2 days earlier as thats when they received payment - thats 2 weeks after I was told payment had been made.

I spoke to ASG about this - I registered my displeasure on the timeframe - to be told the managing director had taken a week to sign the cheque - well TBH Im not bothered - thats their internal arrangements but he hadnt signed the cheque when I had been told it had been sent. I tried pointing all this out to be told - "well its getting sorted now". I said thats not the point, I found the company sloppy when dealing with issues such as this and it wasnt acceptable. Apparently at this point Id called the assistant a name - which I hadnt, I said I thought the company was sloppy and poor - and she didnt like my attitude, and that they had to get quotes and the like which takes time.

Well - Im the customer - Ive been the one providing the quotes, and doing all the legwork here. Ive initiated all but 2 of the calls/contact, I sourced the replacement, Ive kept chasing them - and when I dare register an opinion that its not acceptable, I have an attitude issue.

I will re-iterate that the product itself and the pre-install service has been great. The customer services team in general have been helpful, however the timeframe to rectify damage was unacceptable, as was me having to do the legwork, as was the response when I registered my displeasure on their dealing with the issue.
  • Ashadegreener_representative
    Ashadegreener_representative Posts: 23 Organisation Representative
    Not happy with A shade greener in truth. Like all companies, there will be issues from time to time and I guess Im it.

I had my panels fitted back in Feb, and the actual panels and install is great as as the consultation and visits during the process.

The issue came with the fitters. While the actual install is fine, they had no respect for my house. The loft space was left in a state with roof insulation taken up for the fitting just left strewn around the house. They also damaged some lino in a UT room - they had to route a cable and move the fridge to get to the wall -however they didnt get help, and manhandled the ridge without taking the feet up - resulting in a rip in the lino. They actually left the fridge out for my wife - on her own - to put it back. Only when she asked if they were going to do it - did they do it.

Anyway - the damage was pointed out to the installer who took photos. I spoke to ASG a few days later - their customer services - who had no idea of the damage. I had to chase them over the next 2-3 weeks over what was happening - I had no contact initiated by them. I said 3-4 weeks to replace would be OK. Well were now on 7-8 and its still not done.

I sorted a replacement out myself and provided information in price, location etc to ASG. They agreed to replace the lino with what I had suggested. It took a month nearly, with Carpet Right sending two invoices by EMail, and my making two phone calls before there seemed to be any movement. I had a call 2 weeks ago saying it was all sorted, and payment made but Carpet right wouldnt install until payment had cleared - OK. Another 2 weeks - and a call from them asking if Carpet Right had been in contact - they hadnt so I went down. They had ordered the lino 2 days earlier as thats when they received payment - thats 2 weeks after I was told payment had been made.

I spoke to ASG about this - I registered my displeasure on the timeframe - to be told the managing director had taken a week to sign the cheque - well TBH Im not bothered - thats their internal arrangements but he hadnt signed the cheque when I had been told it had been sent. I tried pointing all this out to be told - "well its getting sorted now". I said thats not the point, I found the company sloppy when dealing with issues such as this and it wasnt acceptable. Apparently at this point Id called the assistant a name - which I hadnt, I said I thought the company was sloppy and poor - and she didnt like my attitude, and that they had to get quotes and the like which takes time.

Well - Im the customer - Ive been the one providing the quotes, and doing all the legwork here. Ive initiated all but 2 of the calls/contact, I sourced the replacement, Ive kept chasing them - and when I dare register an opinion that its not acceptable, I have an attitude issue.

I will re-iterate that the product itself and the pre-install service has been great. The customer services team in general have been helpful, however the timeframe to rectify damage was unacceptable, as was me having to do the legwork, as was the response when I registered my displeasure on their dealing with the issue.

Hi Paul,

I apologise that it took so long to get the issue resolved and the poor customer service you received. Excellent customer experience is vital to A Shade Greener and 99% of the time this is achieved, though on this occasion it has not been apparent. We install 200 to 250 systems per week and the vast majority are completed without issues arising, unfortunately you were one of the tiny minority of customers that experienced a problem.

When damage does occur we seek to resolve the issue ASAP, again this does not seem to have been the case. It should not have taken so long to get the damage repaired nor should you have had to chase the office as many times as you did, though the CRM you spoke to would have been under the impression that the cheque had been sent out and would not have realised it had yet to be signed.

Broken tiles make up the majority of damages and we generally replace these during the install as the team carry spares. In cases such as yours we tend to ask the customer to source a suitable replacement for the item damaged and provide us with a quote. We then need to compare quotes for insurance purposes, though this should not account for the delay in resolving the issue.

I can only apologise for your experience and agree that it was unacceptable how it was handled. If you would like to email me with your details and your feedback I will pass this through to management for you.

My email is mykel.hedge@ashadegreener.co.uk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Ashadegreener. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • nd20
    nd20 Posts: 22 Forumite
    edited 28 August 2013 at 1:35PM
    We had them out, the surveyor said all appeared ok, we then got a letter saying refused application due to shading from trees to the south of the house... Fair enough, except there are no trees to the south. None even planted which could grow in the future Sent photos to them showing all aspects and the lack of 'trees causing shade' and still nothing back
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2013 at 9:39PM
    ASG website says no Slate roofs( first time i have heard that one) - just wondering if it is as complicated as they state it is ?
    Also what are ASG doing Holy Grail different from other free suppliers ? - and why aren't the others following suit?
    I had dealings with a compnay called Genius Energy, they claim there are "no upfront costs" and it "will not cost you a penny of your own money " ( apart from @14k ....for the system......)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback