Harlands / Xercise4Less

Options
Hi all.

I cancelled my membership online via x4less website on the 9th June (direct debit due on 10th) and recieved a confirmation stating they will deal with my request within 30days.

Received an email from x4less on 27th june saying sorry to see you go.. your 30 days notice started the day you cancelled online (9th!)

Harlands direct debit came out on the 10th July so a few days after I cancelled the direct debit myself.

Now receiving emails/texts from harlands demanding i reinstate membership and pay fee’s. Spoke to them on the phone and they said they had no confirmation from x4less that i had cancelled and its my job to chase it up. And in the meantime the current amount of fee’s incurred need paying asap.

Tried calling x4less main office and the phone goes to answering machine and no response via email!

I was well over my 12month contract when i cancelled i forgot to mention.

This was the last email I received after sending them screen prints/emails showing proof of all the above dates.

“As we were unable to collect your August instalment by Direct Debit we have added a £ 25.00 administration fee, which means you have to pay £ 34.99 to bring your account up to date.
Call the HARLANDS HELPLINE - 01444 449033 and we can collect this by DEBIT / CREDIT card and reinstate your Direct Debit Instruction. If you wish to pay by any other method, you must still phone us to discuss your options.
If you do not call us by 30 August 18 you will incur a further £ 25.00 administration fee.”

Any advice would be appreciated..
Thanks

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's hard to tell - it's not really a banking query. You might be better in the exercise forum. They sometimes have gym membership queries.

Did you arrange the contract through exercise4less, but the DD went to Harlands? Did you have to agree to Harlands terms and conditions separately?

on the exercise4less cancellation page its pretty clear that you shouldn't cancel your DD yourself.

https://www.xercise4less.co.uk/membership/cancel-your-membership/
  • Groovemaster
    Options
    Hiya, I’v looked through the sections and couldn’t really find an appropriate one so thoight i’d try this section.

I left the direct going but after the additional payment came out after 30days notice I cancelled it myself as theres plenty of stories online about the company continuing to take payments months after cancelling.
  • Groovemaster
    Options
    No seperate contract. Just a simple sign up process on the x4less websites
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tried calling x4less main office and the phone goes to answering machine and no response via email!
    Since they promote their social media presence at the foot of their website pages, I'd suggest contacting them via Twitter, Facebook, etc, as companies are often more responsive when unhappy customers make their feelings known in a publicly visible way....
  • Horrible Company who has just cancelled my beloved Gym membership which includes spa and pool.
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Gyms are notoriously hard to cancel. You appear to be dealing with two different companies, a gym and an introducer company.

You need to be clear who your contract is with and deal with them. From your description it sounds like xercise4less, but your dd seems to be going to the gym.

I'd write to Harland's and say your contract was with xercise4less not them, you followed their cancellation procedure and you have an acknowledgement of that.

Don't get sucked into arguing with them by phone. Get a record in writing.
  • Harlands cancelled my gym membership without my permission. There is no place I would rather be than at Leisure World Gym with its pool and spa.
  • Harlands wants £200 for the privilege of cancelling my beloved membership without my permission.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Its worth knowing that the DD would have already been processed and been asked to be paid from your bank account, as its called for around 3 days before its due.

You cancelled on the 9th but the DD was already in process so thats why it was bounced as the DD authority was cancelled by you.

Is your membership paid in arrears? if so its sounds like you still owe the month of June, but your contract was ended within 30 days of instruction to cancel, so no more payments to be made.

I would speak to Hartlands as this seems to be where you contract is with, and xforless just takes the DD on their behalf (same practice with many rents)

I would think you still owe the money as you still need to give 30 days notice, and you didn't give this before the DD was due for next payment (10th June) but counted for the August payment.

In relation to DD leave them on accounts and if payments are taken without knowledge or agreement then you are covered by the DD Indemnity scheme, which will refund you if you should not make the payment.

Probably worth knowing for any other DD you may have, cancelling the DD doesn't cancel the contract or the agreement you have to pay.

A lot of customers thinks this is the case and cancelling DD because they no longer want to contact doesn't cancel the contract just causes issues as they require alternative payment.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Nebulous2
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »

You cancelled on the 9th but the DD was already in process so thats why it was bounced as the DD authority was cancelled by you.

Is your membership paid in arrears? if so its sounds like you still owe the month of June, but your contract was ended within 30 days of instruction to cancel, so no more payments to be made.

Westie983

That's not how it reads to me.

Notice given 9/6
    DD taken 10/6
    acknowledgement of notice 27/6
    DD taken 10/7

exercise4less have a cancellation form on their website, which I linked to earlier. A complication seems to be that it looks like they have their own gyms as well as acting as an introducer - which is why I said earlier the OP needs to make sure they know who their contract is with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure