PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Address issue

13»

Comments

• arciere
    arciere Posts: 1,354
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    hb2 wrote: »
    The OP has said that they have few problems with RM, the real issue is with other delivery companies.

Other than the business of the new house, our main issue arises due to the odd company that won't allow a full address on the website. For instance, for supermarket deliveries our address shows as 2, 3 Cul-de-sac Avenue rather than 2, Can't get out court, 3 Cul-de-sac Avenue. Some other sites have similar anomalies, in which case it is difficult to blame the delivery people.
    Yes, that's right, RM has been very consistent with deliveries, but I believe it's because the mail delivery in the area is down to very few people, so they got used to the address.
    I have had all sorts of problems: websites not allowing special characters in the address (no commas), therefore the address becomes Flat 2 9 Strawberry Rise (which can very easily be read as Flat 29), or the first line of address gets printed in bold in a huge size (which only says 'Flat 2').
    Others, like Amazon, don't allow you to type your address freely, so no matter what you write, 'Flat 2' always appears before '9 Strawberry Rise', and many times even on the same line without any separation.
    I have sent an enquiry to Royal Mail with two suggestions (Flat 2 as second line of address, rather than first, or even better 9A Strawberry Rise, without 'Flat').
  • arciere
    Forumite
    ForumUser wrote: »
    We face the same problem but have resolved it entirely by adding directions into the address.

We are at number 81 but our property is next to number 53. We always enter our address as 81 Example Road (black door next to number 53)
    I thought about that too, I keep writing 'please look for house number 9' for food deliveries in the comments box, but I didn't know you were allowed to say that in the address. Some websites don't even allow you to manually write your address, it has to be one of the list they show you.
  • ForumUser
    ForumUser Posts: 26
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    arciere wrote: »
    Others, like Amazon, don't allow you to type your address freely, so no matter what you write, 'Flat 2' always appears before '9 Strawberry Rise', and many times even on the same line without any separation.

This is not correct. Amazon lets you edit your address freely and even has a field for additional delivery information (although my experience is that this is not consistently read bt the courier. We were far more successful adding the directions into the first line of the address)

Even if you have to choose the address from a list, they always let you edit it afterwards in my experience.
  • arciere
    Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 1:20PM
    ForumUser wrote: »
    This is not correct. Amazon lets you edit your address freely and even has a field for additional delivery information (although my experience is that this is not consistently read bt the courier. We were far more successful adding the directions into the first line of the address)

Even if you have to choose the address from a list, they always let you edit it afterwards in my experience.
    Not in my experience, every time I try to edit the address, 'Flat 2' always shows before the 9 Strawberry:
    [EDIT: Not sure how to upload pictures, these are the screenshots:
    https://ibb.co/dctPGK
    https://ibb.co/bBEWwK
  • ForumUser
    ForumUser Posts: 26
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can edit any field. Perhaps this is because you are trying to edit an address which has been created from the drop down box, rather than a manually entered address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure