Urgent - need advice for my son please

Comments

• Borrow the money from a credit card.
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    mardatha wrote: »
    I'm not on any wrong path thankyouverymuch, I don't have any debt and I don't intend to pay his. He is in his late 40s and only told me about this problem because I asked him why he looked so ill and so tired. I'm not here to fix things for him, only to advise him how he can do it himself. And I'm not entering into any discussion here.
    You said above that you don’t have the money, so your willingness is neither here nor there. You can’t post that and then claim that you are just choosing not to help.

I’m just pointing out that if neither of you have an emergency fund then both you could treat this as a bit of a wake-up call.

Anyway, people have told you the situation, so no conversation needed.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    OP - cancel the DDs - set them back up with better dates that line up with his pay day.
    This should prevent any charges and he can allow just the most vital to be paid.

If he does receive charges, the bank can sometimes waive/refund them as a good will gesture if it's a first offence type thing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Have told him this, thank you Dobbibill.
  • It usually takes three working days to cancel a direct debit.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    I should have been more specific.....cancel them with the bank either via the phone or internet banking - the companies will have already started the process from their end.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Direct Debits do not come out at weekends.
    So if correct, as you say in your opening post, that his direct debits are due out "tomorrow", Friday being the 13th of the month means that would be Saturday.

He has had all weekend to sort this, given the direct debits wouldn't be attempted until tomorrow (after 12am tonight)

So unsure exactly why your son has claimed to have needed the money so suddenly, perhaps you might want to ask him if he actually needs the money for something other than the alleged direct debits.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    He wanted me to transfer money into his account, he didn't want the cash. But that is interesting and handy to know, thank you.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    sassy-one wrote: »
    Direct Debits do not come out at weekends.
    So if correct, as you say in your opening post, that his direct debits are due out "tomorrow", Friday being the 13th of the month means that would be Saturday.

He has had all weekend to sort this, given the direct debits wouldn't be attempted until tomorrow (after 12am tonight)

So unsure exactly why your son has claimed to have needed the money so suddenly, perhaps you might want to ask him if he actually needs the money for something other than the alleged direct debits.

It's not difficult to be unaware that DDs don't go out at the weekend (I wouldn't have been sure - I've always had the money so I've never had to care).

Equally, asking why he is panicking at the last minute is a bit naive - that's how people get into trouble!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Presumably this has now been sorted or the fan has been hit.
    He needs to draw up his income and expenses and plan how not to get into this situation again
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family