RCD is tripping - has the smart meter caused this?

About 1 week after installing a smart meter, our RCD began tripping every night only after midnight. I had an electrician in, who said he couldn't find anything wrong and that it was probably an issue with the smart meter. I got the engineers in who installed the smart meter, who said the smart meter is not faulty, and that it is the RCD that is faulty. I've read that smart meters do cause issues, and am thinking that during the installation of the meter, that maybe parts on the fuse box - such as the RCD - were affected somehow. The engineers who installed the smart meter will not cover the cost of the RCD and my landlord will not cover the cost b/c it was my decision to put in a smart meter. Does anyone have advice/had this issue happen to them? Thanks.

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The RCD's are there to protect your internal installation and come before the meter.

You have a fault on your installation - which circuit is tripping ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    RCD's are electrically connected between the meter and the fusebox even if it's incorporated in the fusebox so the meter shouldn't affect it's operation. It's there to protect the household wiring
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is no reason why a smart meter would trip an RCD. It's either faulty wiring (perhaps damp in the electrics), or an appliance gone bad.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • WhoIsThat
    WhoIsThat Posts: 234 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    oshaug33 wrote: »
    About 1 week after installing a smart meter, our RCD began tripping every night only after midnight. I had an electrician in, who said he couldn't find anything wrong and that it was probably an issue with the smart meter. I got the engineers in who installed the smart meter, who said the smart meter is not faulty, and that it is the RCD that is faulty. I've read that smart meters do cause issues, and am thinking that during the installation of the meter, that maybe parts on the fuse box - such as the RCD - were affected somehow. The engineers who installed the smart meter will not cover the cost of the RCD and my landlord will not cover the cost b/c it was my decision to put in a smart meter. Does anyone have advice/had this issue happen to them? Thanks.

Get another one, but ensure you check his credentials this time ;)
  • Thought I would throw my tenant's problem regards Smart Meters (SM) into the mix, in the hope someone could maybe suggest what is going on?

May 2016 - tenants switch to E.org - no problem.
    March 2017 - had Top-Up via App PAYG SM installed and immediately the RCD/fusebox starts tripping intermittently - every few hours, every day, after few days.
    I contacted E.org and they stated that SM not cause switches to trip, fault is fusebox. Accept what they say.

Tripping continues and tenants check and monitor if appliances causing problem. None found.
    BG electricians check home electrics 4 times and state domestic side and RCD all ok - Dec 2017, Aug 2018, Sept 2018 and Oct 2018.

Cause???!!!
    Customer Top Up - when tenant tops up via app and then credit shows up on phone then RCD immediately trips.
    Supplier reading - when E.org do On Demand reading from their end RCD immediately trips.

E.org change SM Oct 2018 and tripping now worse. BG check after SM change and state domestic side and RCD all ok.
    E.org state that fault is RCD as have changed SM. BG believe it is SM. I am between rock and hard place.
    Requested E.org replace SM with Dumb meters, but will only do if I pay.
    Now starting case with Energy Ombudsman… And tenants’ life not good as now 3/4 times a day have to reset RCD.
    Any ideas/advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport