Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I chose the Cunard as it has a rather fine balcony which you are all welcome to join me on :beer:.
    Bring along the champers Alex, there's a good chap :rotfl:.
    NG you can bring the nuts :D.

Knock my door as you go past please, I will be in the Amy Johnson rooms I think
    Flapper Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Alex~~Have you heard from Ali-OK at all by any chance?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Had a really busy week. Shouldn't be up this late on a Sunday either. :o

No extra money made this week either.
    When I win it I'm going to Antarctica!

(Really must start buying tickets I suppose!)

Glad to hear you've had a good day Alex, sounds like a pub meal was definitely in order!

Why Antarctica? I'm quite intrigued.

:rotfl: Had too many meals out this week. Need to start cooking more. :o
    beanielou wrote: »
    I am very lucky.
    I live in a wee bungalow adapted just for me.
    So, no, would be happy to stay here :)
    Oh & buy DS a house :grin:

That's brilliant. :) Always wonder if I will find somewhere I would indefinitely be happy to stay. Not unhappy about where we are at the moment (well, there's a surprise for everyone :rotfl:) but just cannot see my wife and I being here for an indefinite period of time.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    A modern detached house, bathroom upstairs, shower room downstairs, attached garage. Attached greenhouse at the back of the garage.

:)

Where you live, Karmacat? :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    See, I liked all the art deco bits of that kitchen, but I felt that the modern elements sat awkwardly with them. I'm sure Alex can manage a better synthesis if he goes for 30s meets modern :beer:

Edit: as for the wife story - oh God - how awkward to hear those sorts of comments from her creeper colleagues :eek: Let's raise our sons to behave better, eh Alex?

Thank you for having faith in me, Ed. :beer:

I'd agree re. the kitchen. To be honest, I was drawn in by the burr walnut against crisp white. Can't see anything deco or more modern being created here, though. I'm currently planning a simple cabinet design in natural oak with a light marble top. Top quality materials but executed in a simple fashion. Would be very tempted to pick something much more exotic in style were I taking on the project in the property my parents live in. The room would lend itself to something more bold and it wouldn't be 'try hard'. Certain designs and certain pieces of furniture I like requires a rather imposing house for them to work. We don't live in such a place which is probably one of the reasons I want to move away. Once the kitchen is done I will have taken this place as far as I wanted to. Had the right pieces of furniture for the house and seen it come together over a long period of time. Lots of memories: wonderful ones and terrible ones I suppose I'd quite like to "run away" from. Will likely both look fondly on this place and wish to erase it from my memory in years to come for vastly different reasons.

Would not be pleased to hear my son (in many years) behaving in such a manner at all. Mind, I would not have been able to sit down for days had my parents caught me saying anything they would deem crass about the opposite sex. :o
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Oh good grief, I missed that sentence first time round, had to go back to excavate it :eek:

Was there any sort of shame or regret when they realised this was your wife they were speaking about? I'm guessing not ...

One was absolutely mortified. Another told me I'm a "lucky man" so I don't think he really cared.
    I chose the Cunard as it has a rather fine balcony which you are all welcome to join me on :beer:.
    Bring along the champers Alex, there's a good chap :rotfl:.
    NG you can bring the nuts :D.

:rotfl: Do I have that much a reputation for Champagne, Gally? :rotfl::rotfl::beer::D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Em..... something you're not telling us Ed :D?

I did also wonder but he did say they were staying as a family of three, IIRC. :)
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    Knock my door as you go past please, I will be in the Amy Johnson rooms I think
    Flapper Daisy xx

See you there, Daisy. :D
    beanielou wrote: »
    Alex~~Have you heard from Ali-OK at all by any chance?

Unfortunately not. :( Sent a PM and also one after not receiving a response but to no avail. :(
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,257 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a good week AlexLK.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AlexLK wrote: »
    "A modern detached house, bathroom upstairs, shower room downstairs, attached garage. Attached greenhouse at the back of the garage. "

Where you live, Karmacat? :)
    Quite a long way south of you - mid Sussex! Where the kind of house I'm describing would cost about £600k. My house is about half that, on a good day, its an ex-council place. When I wrote about the detached place, we were competing on what to spend a lottery win, weren't we? :o I still was, anyway :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK wrote: »

Why Antarctica? I'm quite intrigued.

Penguins, whales, glaciers, clear skies to see the milky way!

Its crazy expensive though, its highly likely I will never be able to do it. :(
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks, Beanie. Not a bad week so far.

Karmacat, can!!!8217;t imagine paying c. £300,000 for an ex-council house, to be honest. :eek: I think something is going to happen to the property market in the long term as this surely cannot be sustainable. On another note, how do people live in new builds? Working on a residential conversion project at the moment (not my own, that has decent room sizes) and the master bedroom is planned to be 2.7m wide. I raised the point it!!!8217;s hardly big enough to walk around a bed but apparently is a common size in a new build?! No idea who buys them, to be honest.

Red squirrel, if it!!!8217;s something you really want to do it is worth spending the money, in my opinion. :)

ETA: what!!!8217;s going on when I post on my iPad with apostrophes?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Alex, £300k is just what prices are in the SE of England. I used to live and work in Brighton, and I owned two houses there, in the roads right next to the ones in these links:
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52892793.html
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52771401.html

The semi is built into the hillside, they all are in that area, it gives rise to lovely quirky properties - my house there had a three storey hallway, simply to take account of the slope. But that gave away a *lot* of space that should have gone to the rooms.

/end rant
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family