Freedom will be mine! ...eventually

Options

Comments

• pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bossypants wrote: »
    The one exception may have to be on Thursday night next week, where I have a long-awaited doctor's appointment after work and I'm not sure I'll have time to walk it, so may need to spend on transport there. Now I just need to think of some kind of portable dinner, anyone have any ideas?

depending on the dining/catering facilities available to you at work, it may be easier to have your 'main' meal for lunch and a packed lunch for tea?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I almost managed a full no spent week. The only things I bought were:

- Fruit (because I forgot to buy it in my main shop last Thursday and didn't want to be without for a week)
    - Medicine (because I suddenly needed it and would have been seriously uncomfortable without it)
    - A cup rice thing (because I had no food and a late meeting I needed to be clear headed for. Should have planned that one better, but next time).

For a grand total of £12.07.

On the plus side, I did manage to walk to and from my appointment on Thursday night, so no money spent there!

For this week, my grocery shop came in at just over £20, including ingredients to make 8 portions of bolognese sauce, six of which are now in the freezer, so I'm pretty happy with that. Going to try not to spend any more for the rest of the week, so that I can start building up my 'life expenses' pot again (my system is I get £50 per week to cover groceries, toiletries, small items around the house (like lightbulbs), clothes, shoes, small luxuries like books, music and takeaways, and any other entertainment/nights out. The idea is that since I don't need anywhere near £50 per week to be comfortable, I save up what's left over until I have enough to cover bigger items I might want or need (say, a new winter coat). Once the pot reaches £300, everything else will go into OPs. Right now I have no pot at all, since the whole budgeting idea pretty much went out the door during the move, so I am keen to start building it back up again!).
  • Bossypants
    Options
    Okay, time to start this up again! As you can see from my signature, this year has not been going to plan so far. Once I got in, it turned out that a lot of the jobs to be done 'eventually' in fact needed to be done asap, so all the money has gone into that. On the up side, I now have a new boiler and pipes (so I can shower with more than a trickle), fully rewired with new consumer unit (so the flat doesn't catch fire) and at the end of June some nice men will be installing a new floor (so I can invite people round without fear of them impaling themselves on stray nails). And since all of that was planned for over the next couple of years, there will now be more than expected to throw at the mortgate next year, so it all works out.

I will leave the original goal below, but I think this year half of that is more realistic. I am holding off from making any big transfers until the last of the work is done and the bills paid next month, but I couldn't resist making a symbolic first overpayment of £1, yay!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    At least all the nuisance house stuff is out of the way now, Bossypants :D

Congrats on your first OP! :T
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's it now. You have got the ball rolling with your first OP :)

Glad the house stuff is sorted now so you can focus on being MF.
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• TwentySomethingGirl
    Options
    Not catching fire and your friends not impaling themselves are important things to sort..

Congrats on the first OP

TSG
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000 - £140500 JUL19 Moved house Oct19 £230000 £230400 DEC20
  • Bossypants
    Options
    Right, it's been over a year since my last post, but I'm going to try this again.

So, long story short, not long after my last post, I realised that that flat just wasn't for me and living there was taking a serious toll on my mental health (it was in an old, poorly insulated building slap bang in the centre of Brighton. Great for commuting but between the cafe downstairs, the young couple upstairs, and the constant party atmosphere of Brighton right outside, sleep became a very scarce commodity, and I need more than most people).

I got to the point where I really needed to move but couldn't see where to move to, since even if I mortgaged myself to the hilt, the most I would have been able to afford would be a tiny terraced house, of the kind where you can hear the neighbours watching TV three doors down, and by then I was so on edge with the constant noise that the idea made me feel physically sick. Then, in the depths of my despair, I came across the only detached house in Brighton that was anywhere near my budget, due to its location directly opposite the local recycling depot and bin lorry yard. Still, it was by far the best I could hope to do, so I jumped and have been in since November (almost exactly a year to the day that I moved into the first flat).

The cottage is not without its problems (the industrial neighbours have their own kind of noise, and it will be hard to resell when the time comes), but overall I'm still really glad I made the decision I did. After being in for some nine months, I'm finally starting to feel something approaching 'normal' again, which, after a year of being constantly on edge in my own home, is a welcome improvement.

Now that I'm all settled in, I'm also starting to plan for the future again. My hope is to become mortgage free within 7 years, then stop commuting, switch to working entirely from home, and move to a quiet little forever place in the Sussex countryside.

I'm currently waiting on the online banking passcode to allow me to start making overpayments (was hoping it would arrive this past week, but no joy). I'm lucky that, contrary to the last place, this house needed a lot less than expected in terms of work, so I've been able to save a fair bit since moving in. That means I'll be able to start things off with a bang, then make regular overpayments thereafter. I probably won't post about those here, though, since they'll be automatic. My main day-to-day money saving focus will be on building up the cookie jar fund out of money saved from the weekly budget and things like eBay sales.

Anyway, nice to see you all again! :wave:
  • Bossypants
    edited 17 July 2017 at 9:14PM
    Options
    Does anyone else find themselves sometimes feeling grateful for a weekend of crappy weather? Especially in the summer, I feel so much pressure to Make The Most Of It when the sun is out. It's fun the first couple of times it happens, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I'm glad to have an 'excuse' to just stay at home and do chores. Honestly, I've gotten so many little things done this weekend, and I've only spent £1 on non-essential groceries (for the curious, it was a chocolate orange. I got to reading that thread yesterday just before I went shopping and they just happened to be half price, I couldn't resist). I find it really satisfying sometimes.
  • Bossypants
    Options
    Okay last post for today I swear, but I just had to report on the rather ignominious end to my first real week of money saving:

Feeling quite pleased with myself after the above post, I decided to go for a nice long walk in the budding sunshine. I put my keys and my usual emergency tenner in my pocket and set off. It was very humid, much more so than I had been expecting, but I didn't think much of it. Had a lovely walk, got home and went to put my keys and tenner back in my handbag, only to find the tenner gone! The nearest I can think is that it must have gotten damp in my pocket and worked its way out through friction. I honestly couldn't believe it, checked every pocket repeatedly and even went back out some of the way and looked, but no joy. It's one of those situations where really the only thing you can do is laugh and learn from it. At least I can count myself lucky that I am in the happy position that I didn't need it for food or shelter, and as a saving grace, the area I mostly walked through is full of not-wealthy families with kids, so hopefully it will be found and make someone's day.

Will need to sort out a more secure way of carrying emergency dosh in the future, though!
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Hi bossypants! Do you not take a mobile with you on walks? I'd rather be without an emergency tenner than without an emergency phone! If you do take a phone, pretty much all makes and models have "wallet" covers available - they protect your phone and have a few little slide in pockets for a couple of cards, notes, shopping list etc. They can be bought quite inexpensively and are much less likely to be lost than a loose tenner!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure