Redundancy and holiday pay

Hello

I am currently in consultation on a redundancy. I have been made an offer but no mention has been made of holiday pay.

I understand you should also be paid for any unused holiday as part of your redundancy settlement.

By the time we reach an agreement it will be April and I will have 28 days holiday for the year ahead. Can anyone tell me how this impacts on my final redundancy package? Is all of this holiday taken into account, or a certain percentage?

Thank you for any insights.

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,014
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You will be only entitled to be paid for holidays that you have actually earned, so roughly just over 2 days per month worked.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, you accrue holiday in proportion to the time up to the termination of your employment. So, if you are employed for, say, 10 weeks, you would accrue 10/52 of the 28 days, ie 5.4 days (to one decimal place).

There are different ways of working out the proportion - for instance a 24/7 operation with people varying their shifts might use a 365 day calculation.

Do you normally work bank holidays? If not, then you would use up one of your days for Easter Monday. And there are also a couple of bank holidays in May if you are employed that long.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure