Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Comments

• If your out of contract with your present supplier, you might be able to move & push for 32p + free gas depending what your yearly usage is.
  • tp023
    tp023 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Thanks. I use approx 2500 to 3000 li per year. I'm with Calor at present. Which suppliers should I approach. I'm near Loughborough.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    tp023 wrote: »
    Thanks. I use approx 2500 to 3000 li per year. I'm with Calor at present. Which suppliers should I approach. I'm near Loughborough.
    https://www.uklpg.org/
    Halfway down 'search for a supplier', then 'enter your postcode' and then ask them all for a quote ...
  • Woldlink pricing for February advised as 32.1ppl +5% VAT, down from 33.9ppl in January.
  • tp023
    tp023 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for this super helpful thread, and post what I've just learned in case it's helpful to someone else (or in case I've got it wrong :rotfl: )

We're buying a house with an LPG tank (should be exchanging in the next week or two). It's an estate sale, so currently empty - owners live down south and have turned heating off and drained the system, saying the gas tank is 'nearly empty', but it's over an hour's drive from here and without heading over there I have no way of checking how 'nearly empty' it is, and whether there's enough gas left to power the heating for a few days.

Rang Calor (their name is on the tank) - they confirmed contract is currently with them, but that I can switch. They also confirmed they will do an interim delivery of 50% of the tank (I'm not even sure how big the tank is :o ) at 37p a litre plus VAT.

At that point, we are not tied into a contract with them - so we have chance to get into the house and investigate switching.

I'm most reassured - I was tying myself in knots trying to figure out how to switch once we'd bought the place but with enough time to get the heating going before we moved in, and it turns out we don't have to :j

Reading what you've all said, 37p a litre isn't brilliant, but it's also not too bad for a one off, half tank delivery that'll get us through until we can investigate properly.

I confess I knew almost nothing about LPG until I read through the last 10 or so pages of this thread yesterday so thanks to all who have contributed :)

Cheery :)
  • Just read all this thread going back to 2014!
    We are considering changing from oil toLPG but now not so sure. Any advice?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just read all this thread going back to 2014!
    I s'pose the big question to ask is why you're considering changing.

Presumably you have an oil tank, pipework, boiler right now? So why change to LPG? New boiler - pipework and tank are rented, but you still need to pay to dispose of the old. It's going to take a lot of running cost difference to make up that upfront cost.

OK, so you can also run the cooker on gas. Big plus point. But you can do that anyway alongside oil - bottled LPG.

Is it to stop people nicking your oil? That's really about the only other big difference.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Just read all this thread going back to 2014!

Can I ask why are you considering changing?

Beaten to it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure