Ready to do it all over again ...

Options

Comments

• amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    So sorry you are going through this , basically you have to take one day at a time. My eldest DS suffered from depression from when he was about 17, he still has his "moments" and sometimes he is best left alone. Thirteen years down the line I still don't relax and am always watchful of him. Being a parent you would do anything to take these feelings away. As I work at a school I know there are many children suffering and sadly many parents are going through the same thing as yourself. I hope you soon get the help for your DS needs, please come and vent on here, there are a lot of us that have been in a similar situation that you are in.xxx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • dingaling
    dingaling Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is so awful, I'm so sorry this is happening to you and DS. I had the police turn up one day out of the blue about two years ago. One of my ds's had been texting a friend and the friend contacted police worried about him. My son had told his friend that he didn't see the point in living. The friend called the police as they didn't know what else to do, my son was about 16 at the time. I deal with some mental health in my job as a midwife but my mind went blank and I didn't know what to do. The police just said take him to a&e which I did. They got the crisis team involved and everything escalated from there. It was a rapid response and very very good. They gave him medication and were in contact with him regularly. They only contacted me if they had his permission to update me or if he didn't answer his phone. He had counselling for about a year. Most of it was about his dad who he stated during our wait in a&e that he hated his dad and had done for years. My ex husband is an almighty !!!! and DS hated what his dad did to our family. My son is now 19 and in USA working in a kids camp. The year of counselling helped him as well as time and the medication.

Maybe seeing the crisis team is an option for you if he says these things again. It is so difficult at his age, difficult to give a young man adult wisdom. I would definitely take him to a&e if he does this again.

My heart goes out to you. Being told to hide knives and medication from your child is alarming and very scary.
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    De-lurking to say there's nothing I can really add to help, but am thinking of you and hoping things get better for you both very, very soon. I am a single Mum to my DS and I can't imagine what you are going through. Sending hugs your way BenBen. Xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh BenBen, I'm so sorry.

I have no experience of your personal situation, but I do have experience of being the person suffering with a mental health crisis. I don't know if you know this but four weeks ago I was signed off work for 28 days due to stress, anxiety and depression. I return to work tomorrow.

Yes, I am 28, not a teenager, but I have been suffering with mental health difficulties since the age of 10 when my friend passed away from leukaemia. I was offered no grief counselling and my dad made me feel that my grief was unnatural. I had no one to turn to and as a result I suffered all throughout my teenage years and into adulthood and had to reach some pretty desperate points before I went to the doctors to be prescribed medication or be taken seriously.

In the last four weeks I have explored every avenue regarding my mental health - looking at diet, exercise, mindfulness, cognitive behavioural therapy, counselling and an increase in medication. I would still say I am not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, but I am no longer making myself ill with anxiety about it.

The way my OH describes what has happened in the last four weeks is that he is glad it happened because I am finally getting the help I need, and at least at this moment in time my steps seem to be working.

What I want to say is as horrible this situation must be for you, and it is horrible, I want to try and give you a bit of hope that this may be a way for DS to get the help he needs to stop it getting worse.

I am so sorry for what you are going through and I hope it all works out for you and DS soon.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ben Ben, so sorry to hear what your family are going through.

My older brother has mental Heath issues since a young teen, a lot has gone on (too much to bore you with), but, I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in this. Glad to hear you are getting a little more support now for him.

I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea but it may be worth you reaching out for support for yourself too as this is a very difficult thing you are experiencing x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben Ben, so sorry to hear what your family are going through.

My older brother has mental Heath issues since a young teen, a lot has gone on (too much to bore you with), but, I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in this. Glad to hear you are getting a little more support now for him.

I'm not sure if it's your cup of tea but it may be worth you reaching out for support for yourself too as this is a very difficult thing you are experiencing x

I second this, you should look for support for yourself too, it won't be easy for you, I make sure my long suffering OH has plenty of time to off load with his friends without me there so that he can de-stress. I'm not sure how helpful they will be but you could maybe look for a mental health support group, there is a website/app called Meet Ups where you can find local groups in your area for various things, there may be one on there.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Florence J~~Thank you for sharing.
    I hope all goes well on your return to work.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your support, yesterday a youth worker came round and spoke to ds- he didn't engage particularly, he's not good with people he doesn't know.
    He has been talking a lot more over the last couple of days and seems in a better way than at the weekend. I think on Sunday he was so so tired and that was behind some of the tears. It is going to be a battle but I will keep fighting :o
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    Options
    I have three DS's and have encouraged everyone of them to open up and talk as much about problems than keep it to themselves. At times I can have the three of them texting me about issues at the same time and feel like a counsellor myself. It's heartbreaking at times when they "are down" and I would give anything for them to be five years old again and the only thing upsetting them is one of their toys has broken. Big hugs to you both you are both doing brilliantly .xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
  • benbenandme
    benbenandme Posts: 12,175 Forumite
    Options
    It's definitely been a more positive week and ds has made it to the end of the school year :j :j (he's not going in for mon-thurs as it's all off-timetable unstructured stuff that he won't cope with).

He's at his Dads this weekend so I have finally got a bit of a brek from it, I needed it this week.

Yesterday we found a hedgehog toddling across the path as we were leaving school. We took him to the vet to be checked and they called this morning to say I could collect him and re-release him. Anyway, when I went in the receptionist has given her to someone else :eek: :( I'm a bit sad as I wanted to encourage her in the garden, but hey ho, at least I know she's healthy :o

So, the rest of the weekend is going to be spent chilling. Maybe planning a list for the summer, or I may even leave that until next weekend in Cornwall to do.
    Mortgage Total: £55,900 / £75,000
    2024 Savings: £2532
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family