What to buy in the US

First trip to the US in 10 years this summer. Ignoring the poor state of the £ (it was $2 to the £1 then). Is there anything o should be looking to buy whilst there?
Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman

Comments

• I would say anything you are planning to buy in the next 6 months but price it up before you go and then assess if it is actually cheaper in the US.
    After that you need to establish whether warranties are valid or not in the UK.
    Things like sim free Apple products are warrantied here but iphones and Ipads with sims aren't.
    We went last September and didn't think things were that cheap (including clothes).
    Some clothes are worth buying because you can't get them here and we bought a few things in an outlet mall in Vegas but not too much really.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    First trip to the US in 10 years this summer. Ignoring the poor state of the £ (it was $2 to the £1 then). Is there anything o should be looking to buy whilst there?
    To be honest, that's very much like asking "how long is a piece of string?"
    Without a bit more information, no one on here could have any idea of the sort of things that you may be interested in.

Do you have any hobbies?, do you have any children?, and if so, what are their approximate ages? What sort of clothing do you normally buy?
    Etc
    Etc
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Have 1 child (coming with us) aged 6. Not really thinking clothes.

Was looking at cosmetics, jewellery, technology etc.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Nowt.

The pound is too weak, just have a great holiday.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Sephora and Bath & Body Works are worth a visit, but you're unlikely to find any great savings on branded goods.

Remember to check the tax rate for wherever you're going!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Naproxen painkillers!
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Naproxen painkillers!

You can get Naproxen OTC here under the brand name Feminax, or you can get it on prescription.

Gives me chronic heartburn!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    IAmWales wrote: »
    You can get Naproxen OTC here under the brand name Feminax, or you can get it on prescription.

Gives me chronic heartburn!

Not in packs of 1000 tablets!

Ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) also available in industrial size packs, around $15-$20.

NANU, depends where you're going, we've just got back from Orlando, we got some good deals at the outlet malls, I got a few handbags, Fossil and Kipling for $20 each, my daughter got some Vans for $30, some Nike dancewear really cheap, $10 for tops, sports bras, leggings, OH got a Fossil watch $135 instead of £175, daughter also got a lot of Elf make-up. Oh and a giant jar of Jif peanut butter (that's all mine!)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Petrol is cheap
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    iltisman wrote: »
    Petrol is cheap

Glad to hear it. We're doing a 2000+ mile road trip around Colorado!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport